If you’re an American Airlines loyalist, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® can provide benefits to offset its annual fee fairly handily.
It offers far more than frequent flyer miles. The card can help smooth your flying experience with American, particularly when it comes to stashing luggage, whether you typically check bags or carry them aboard.
The right airline credit card mostly depends on which carrier you’re able to fly often, so many people don’t compare among credit cards from different airlines.
But a comparison would show the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is similar to competitors, with each offering slightly different benefits. For example, this card refunds 10% of redeemed miles, up to 10,000 miles in a calendar year, and offers a discount on in-flight purchases.
And notably, this card gives double the frequent flyer miles on purchases at restaurants and gas stations, making it an easier choice to use as an everyday credit card, instead of one you use only occasionally for its airline benefits.
Here are more details about the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®.
- Recommended Credit Score
- 690850Good - Excellent
- Card Details
- Free checked bag
- Preferred boarding
- Has annual fee
- Best for frequent American Airlines flyers only
Annual Fees$0 for the first year, then $99
- APR: 17.74% - 25.74% Variable APR
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99%, Variable
- Cash Advance APR: 26.99%, Variable
Bonus OffersEarn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Additional Information
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- New: Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®: Basics and benefits
- Annual fee: $0 for the first year, then $99
- First checked bag free for you and four companions on your reservation
- Rewards: 2 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent with American Airlines; 2 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent at restaurants and gas stations; 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases
- $100 American Airlines flight discount after $20,000 in purchases within a year and card is renewed
- Sign-up bonus: Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- 10% of redeemed miles refunded, up to 10,000 miles per calendar year
- Foreign transaction fee: None
- APR: The ongoing APR is 17.74% - 25.74% Variable APR
Where the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® shines
Having free checked bags is valuable. With the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®, you’ll get a first checked bag free for you and four companions on your reservation. That saves you $25 per person each way, or up to $250 on a round-trip flight for you and traveling partners. Assuming you would have otherwise paid to check bags, this could quickly justify the annual fee.
One important note: You must include your frequent flyer number on your reservation to get the checked-bag fee waiver.
If you don’t typically check bags, you might find that the preferred boarding perk that comes with the card can be beneficial. You’re more likely to find space in the overhead bin for your carry-on if you can board the plane earlier, in a lower-number group. Or you might just enjoy the ability to get settled into your seat before the cabin fills up. And, like free checked bags, the privilege applies to up to four others on your reservation.
» MORE: Best airline cards
Average flyers might find an airline’s card perks more valuable than its frequent flyer miles. As a result, they might hold the card more as a membership than a rewards card you use for daily purchases. But if your goal is to earn free flights or upgrades to a premium cabin — two of the most valuable ways to use rewards — miles racked up from credit card purchases is a good way to do that.
American makes this easier than many other airlines by not only giving double miles on airline purchases but two additional — and useful — categories of spending: restaurants and gas stations.
Bonuses change, but this card generally gives you enough miles to get a free domestic award flight, or at least enough to get close to one. That could translate into savings of several hundred dollars.
The current bonus is: Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*.
Reduced Mileage Award program
Cardholders of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® have access to American’s Reduced Mileage Award program. If you use frequent flyer miles to book certain round-trip domestic MileSAAver award flights, you can get a discount, a 7,500-mile discount on longer destinations and 2,000-mile discount on shorter ones. It’s not easy to use, though. Eligible destinations change monthly, MileSAAver seats are limited and you’ll have to book by phone or visit a ticket office.
Redemption bonus. When you redeem miles, you’ll receive 10% of those miles back, up to 10,000 miles per calendar year.
Flight discount. $100 American Airlines flight discount after $20,000 in purchases within a year and card is renewed. (Discount expires in a year.)
Discount on in-flight purchases. Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights.
No foreign transaction fees. You won’t have to worry about paying a fee (often 3%) for making international purchases. Travel cards typically don’t charge foreign transaction fees. The card also uses the widely accepted Mastercard network.
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®: Pitfalls and other possibilities
Even though the annual fee — $0 for the first year, then $99 — is about typical for this type of airline card, you’ll want to be sure it makes sense for you.
Usually, the best redemption options for AAdvantage miles are award flights and seat upgrades on American and its OneWorld partners. General travel cards, on the other hand, allow you to apply rewards toward several different kinds of travel expenses.
Double miles on restaurants and gas and the redemption bonus are nice, but other large airlines pony up benefits this card does not. For example, the comparable card for United Airlines, the United℠ Explorer Card, offers two free airport lounge passes per year and primary rental car insurance, which kicks in before your personal auto insurance. The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express offers a more generous checked-bag benefit, which applies to the cardholder and up to eight other passengers on the reservation.
For dedicated American Airlines flyers, the other choices among American’s consumer credit cards come from both Citi and Barclays:
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® comes with upgraded benefits and access to American’s Admirals Club airport lounges for the cardholder and authorized users.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® is a lower-tier and less expensive card that can earn frequent flyer miles but doesn’t come with free checked bags.
- The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card is the choice for those who want an annual fee of $0. It earns double miles for spending at grocery stores and American Airlines, and 1 mile per $1 spent on everything else. However, it does not come with free checked bags and preferred boarding.
- The AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® is similar to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®.
If you aren’t especially loyal to American Airlines, a general travel card might be a better choice. Good picks include: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. If you fly a different airline more frequently, its own co-branded credit card would be a better fit.
Visit NerdWallet’s top credit card offers page for more information on how credit cards compare.
Is the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® right for you?
If you’re a frequent American Airlines flyer, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is worth a look. Its free checked bags, preferred boarding and double-miles categories can help make up for the annual fee. However, if you shop by price and fly several airlines, you might find that a cash-back or general travel credit card would work out best.
Information related to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® and the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® has been collected by NerdWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.