Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Access Credit Union at a glance
Access Credit Union was founded in 1940 and, following its merger with two other Manitoba credit unions, has more than $9 billion in assets.
Access Credit Union account optionsSavings
Mastercard credit cards
Other Access Credit Union servicesMortgages
Personal and RRSP loans
Lines of credit
Access Credit Union overview
Access Credit Union is a Manitoba-based credit union with a broad lineup of financial offerings. Headquartered in Winnipeg, it offers a standard lineup of personal and business banking products, including chequing and savings accounts, credit cards, investment accounts, lending products and wealth management services. Access Credit Union has partnerships with two third-party investment platforms — VirtualWealth and Qtrade — and services its customers both in-person and online via its branch network, banking portal and mobile app.
In July 2022, Access merged with Noventis Credit Union and Sunova Credit Union, significantly increasing its assets, employees and branch locations.
Online banking capabilities at Access Credit Union
Access Credit Union’s website (www.accesscu.ca), online banking portal and free-to-download mobile app are capable of facilitating all sorts of digital banking services. From a computer, tablet or mobile device, you can pay bills, schedule payments, deposit cheques, review your transaction history and more.
Access Credit Union has 52 branches for those who prefer to do their banking face-to-face.
Is my money safe at Affinity Credit Union?
Access Credit Union doesn’t carry CDIC coverage. Instead, it relies on protection from the Deposit Guarantee Corporation of Manitoba (DGCM). Access Credit Union deposits are 100% guaranteed by the DGCM.
For online banking customers, Access Credit Union uses 256-bit TLS encryption to protect sensitive banking information. You can take further steps to protect your data when online banking by using strong passwords and implementing up-to-date antivirus and firewall software protection.
Access Credit Union account types
Access Credit Union savings accounts
- Grow: a kids savings account with unlimited transactions for those 15 and under.
- Plan 24: simple savings account with five free withdrawals monthly.
- Platinum: tiered interest rates with one free withdrawal monthly.
- Premium: high-interest savings account with two free withdrawals monthly.
- Ability Savings: no-fee savings account for those who qualify for the disability tax credit.
- U.S. Dollar: savings account for USD.
Access Credit Union chequing accounts
- Pay As You Go: no monthly fees but per-transaction fees apply.
- Basic+: $8 monthly fee includes 30 free withdrawals and 10 free Interac e-Transfers monthly.
- Green: paperless account with a $12 monthly fee.
- Unlimited: unlimited transactions for $15 monthly.
- All-In-One: combined chequing and savings account.
- Ability Chequing: no-fee chequing account for those who qualify for the disability tax credit.
- Grow Chequing: kids bank account with no monthly fees.
- Student Chequing: student account with no monthly fees for full-time students of any age.
- Gold: fee-free chequing for those at least 59 years old.
- USD Chequing: chequing account for those transacting in USD.
- New to Canada: fee-free chequing for newcomers to Canada that includes a free safety deposit box for 12 months.
Access Credit Union credit card accounts
- Cash Back Mastercard.
- Centra Gold Mastercard.
- Travel Rewards Gold Mastercard.
- Classic Mastercard.
- US Dollar Mastercard.
- World Mastercard.
Access Credit Union investing accounts
- Registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs).
- Tax-free savings accounts (TFSAs).
- Registered retirement income funds (RRIFs).
- Registered education savings plans (RESPs).
- Registered disability savings plans (RDSPs).
Other Access Credit Union banking services
- Personal and RRSP loans.
- Lines of credit.
- Travel, mortgage life, loan and line of credit insurance.
- Spending and saving accounts for businesses, as well as business financing options.
Access Credit Union fees
Banking fees can vary based on the accounts you have and how you use them. Here are some of the common fees you may encounter using Access Credit Union’s financial products and services:
- Interac e-Transfers: $1.00
- Debit card purchases: $0.50 – $1.25
- Non-sufficient funds: $45
- Overdraft: $5
- RRSP/RRIF/TFSA/RESP transfer to another institution: $50
Who Access Credit Union is best for:
Manitobans seeking personal or business banking services.
Its broad spectrum of services coupled with its Manitoba-based branch network makes Access Credit Union a practical fit for those seeking a financial institution in the region. It offers a selection of term deposit plans and mutual funds and partners with multiple third-party investment platforms to offer a variety of investment options for its customers.
Whether you prefer to bank in-person, online or by telephone, Access Credit Union has the resources to provide for a variety of banking clientele. It also offers term deposit plans and mutual funds for investors.
Access Credit Union pros and cons
There’s plenty to like about Access Credit Union, but no bank or credit union is without its drawbacks. Here’s what to consider before you open an account.
Pros of Access Credit Union
- Comprehensive selection of personal and business accounts, credit cards and more.
- In-person, telephone, online and mobile banking support.
- Wealth management and financial planning services.
- Multiple investment platform partnerships to help you manage your investment portfolio.
Cons of Access Credit Union
- Poorly-reviewed mobile app.
- In-person branch services limited to Manitoba.
- Fees for debit card transactions and electronic transfers.
How Access Credit Union compares to other credit unions
|Access Credit Union||Affinity Credit Union||Northern Credit Union|
|Primary region of service||Manitoba||Saskatchewan||Northern Ontario|
|Number of branches||26||More than 50||31|
|Are deposits insured?||Yes, by the Deposit Guarantee Corporation of Manitoba.||Yes, by the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation.||Yes, by the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario’s Deposit Insurance Reserve Fund.|
Access Credit Union frequently asked questions
Who did Access Credit Union merge with?
Access Credit Union merged with Sunova Credit Union and Noventis Credit Union on July 1, 2022.
How many members does Access Credit Union have?
Access Credit Union has over 168,000 members.