Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Innovation Credit Union at a glance
Innovation Credit Union was formed in 2007 and is the third-largest credit union in Saskatchewan.
- Innovation Credit Union account optionsSavings
Visa credit cards
- Other Innovation Credit Union servicesWealth management
Loans and mortgages
Lines of credit
Business accounts and financing
Innovation Credit Union overview
Innovation Credit Union is a member-owned co-operative financial institution serving over 58,000 members in Canada. Besides the 24 branch locations and in-person services in Regina and Saskatoon, members can manage their money via online banking, mobile app or telephone banking. Innovation Credit Union offers regular banking products and services for its members’ personal and business needs — be it chequing, savings, credit or wealth management.
With the purchase of a $5 member share, new customers become members and shareholders who have a say in how the credit union is run, and may earn cash dividends.
Online banking capabilities at Innovation Credit Union
Innovation Credit Union members can access free banking at any time, no matter their location through online banking. The website (www.innovationcu.ca) as well as banking apps on Google Play and Apple App Store can be used to check account balances, transfer funds, and apply for a loan, among other functions.
To use Innovation Credit Union’s digital banking features, you’ll need to download their mobile banking app and sign up to access your account online. You can also explore the website for the how-to videos to help make the most of their digital banking solutions.
Is my money safe at Innovation Credit Union?
Deposits and accrued interest held with Innovation Credit Union are insured by the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation. CUDGC insurance coverage includes deposits held in one name, joint accounts, trust accounts, registered accounts in savings, chequing, GICs and more.
The Innovation mobile app and online banking platform come with a Lock’N’Block feature that helps you prevent debit card fraud in no time. This feature allows you to lock your debit card and block ATM transactions, purchases, refunds and international transactions. For added protection and to stay informed, members can also choose to receive banking alerts by email or text messages.
Innovation Credit Union account types
Innovation Credit Union accounts
- No-fee chequing account: no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements, free unlimited Interac e-transfers and unlimited no-fee debit transactions.
- Savings account: no monthly fees, no balance required, earn interest and cash dividends.
- US account: receive best conversion rates, earn interest and cash dividends.
- Registered education savings plans (RESPs): matching government contributions, pay less tax, flexible redemption options, avoid hidden fees.
Innovation Credit Union credit card accounts
Innovation Credit Union offers a selection of premium rewards, travel rewards, cash back, no fee and low-rate Visa cards.
- Visa Infinite Card.
- Cash Back Visa Card.
- Visa Classic Card.
- US Dollar Visa Card.
- Centra Visa Gold Card.
Innovation Credit Union investing accounts
- Tax-free savings accounts (TFSAs).
- Guaranteed investment certificates (GICs).
- Registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs).
- Registered education savings plans (RESPs).
Other Innovation Credit Union services
- Lines of credit.
- Home equity line of credit (HELOC).
- Wealth management.
- Business accounts and financing options.
Innovation Credit Union fees
Banking fees can vary based on the accounts you have and how you use them. Here are some of the common fees you may encounter using Innovation Credit Union’s financial products and services:
- Non-sufficient funds: $45
- Overdraft: $5/item
- ATM withdrawals outside the network: $2.50 – $4
- 2-Year inactivity fee: $25
- Bank account transfer to another financial institution: $25.00 + official cheque $7.50
Who Innovation Credit Union is best for
Saskatchewan residents seeking low-fee personal and business banking services.
Innovation Credit Union offers many of the same services that the big banks offer Canadians but without the account or ATM fees. Aside from profit sharing at Innovation, members can earn cash dividends on everyday banking through the Members Rewards program.
Pros and Cons of Innovation Credit Union
There’s plenty to like about Innovation Credit Union, but no bank or credit union is without its drawbacks. Here’s what to consider before you open an account.
Pros of Innovation Credit Union
- No monthly fees or balance requirements on chequing and savings accounts.
- Earn cash dividends for everyday banking.
- Wealth management and financial planning services.
- Account offers and services designed for seniors.
- Community grants, sponsorships and scholarships.
Cons of Innovation Credit Union
- In-person service limited to southern Saskatchewan.
- Lower interest rates on savings products compared to other credit unions.
- Employee assistance fees apply to most accounts.
How Innovation Credit Union compares to other credit unions
|Innovation Credit Union||Affinity Credit Union||Access Credit Union|
|Primary region of service||Saskatchewan||Saskatchewan||Manitoba|
|Number of branches||24||More than 50||More than 50|
|Are deposits insured?||Yes, by the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation.||Yes, by the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation.||Yes, by the Deposit Guarantee Corporation of Manitoba.|
Innovation Credit Union frequently asked questions
Yes. The Innovation Credit Union app is available via the Apple app store and Google Play at no charge. To access all the features on the mobile banking app, you’ll need to be registered for online banking.
If you’re new to online and mobile banking, contact the Innovation Credit Union support team to get a temporary username and password. To complete the setup, you can then log into the online banking or mobile app and follow the prompts to update your username and password.
Best Senior Bank Accounts in Canada
Many senior bank accounts offer fee rebates and unlimited transactions. But not all senior accounts are free, and require you to be 60 to 65 or older to qualify.
What Is a Bank Institution Number?
A bank institution number is a three-digit number that refers to a specific bank. You can find it at the bottom of your cheque.
Best Student Bank Accounts in Canada
The best student bank accounts offer a combination of no monthly fees, numerous free transactions and other perks to make your day-to-day banking easier and more affordable.
Online Banking vs. Branch Banking: Pros and Cons
You can use either branch banking or online banking to manage your bank account — the services are pretty similar, with a few key differences. Before the advent of internet banking, you had to physically visit a bank or credit union to conduct most of your financial transactions. However, technological advancements allow you to bank […]