Carers’ Insurance Quote

  • Look after yourself and your clients with carers’ insurance
  • Compare flexible policies to meet your needs with Simply Business
  • Get a quote in just 5 minutes
Get a Quote
Powered by
Simply Business logo

Cover For 1,000 Business Types

  • Essential cover

    Protection if someone is injured or their property is damaged because of your business.

    • Public Liability Insurance
    • Employers Liability Insurance
    • Business Contents Insurance
  • Professional cover

    Legal fees and compensation payments if you make a mistake in your work and a client suffers a financial loss.

    • Professional Indemnity Insurance
  • Management cover

    Cover for legal fees and compensation payments if you make a mistake in your work and a client suffers a financial loss.

How it works

Tell us about your business
Answer a few questions about your business.
Compare a range of prices
Compare a range of insurance policies to find the right one for you.
Get your business covered
If the policy suits your needs, you can take it out and get cover immediately.

What our Nerds say about carers’ insurance



As a carer, you make a huge difference to the lives of some of the most vulnerable people in society.

But no matter how dutiful and diligent you are, mistakes can happen and it could be you that ends up vulnerable to allegations of misconduct, as well as the associated costs.

Whether it’s incorrectly administering medication, a minor injury or even accidental death – and whether you think you’re at fault or not – you could be held liable, resulting in massive legal costs and compensation payouts.

What is carers’ insurance?

Carers’ insurance is not one specific product but rather an umbrella term for a number of policies that can protect you. For example, if someone under your care is injured or becomes ill as a result of your care work, or if someone’s belongings are damaged, lost or stolen.

Exactly what is covered will depend on what you decide to include in your carer’s insurance package.

Your policy can also be tailored to your personal circumstances, whether you’re a self-employed carer or you work within a care home.

Self-employed carer insurance

You may want to consider public liability insurance if you are a self-employed carer. It provides financial cover for any errors, omissions, accidents you’re responsible for in your role as a carer that might result in a client’s injury, illness or death, as well as for any damage or loss you might cause to a member of the public’s property.

Your carers’ insurance policy might also include specific cover for incidents as serious as a client’s accidental death, permanent or temporary disability and accident-related hospitalisation. These situations may be rare, but it could make sense to be covered for the worst-case scenario. Often, you can choose to have these specific circumstances covered, or not.

Personal accident insurance, which covers you for loss of earnings if an injury prevents you from working, is also an important consideration. And you may also consider adding personal belongings insurance to your policy. If you are choosing a specific carer package, check whether these two types of cover will only protect you during your working hours, or outside work too.

Care home insurance

If you run a care home that employs staff, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This will cover you in the event that a member of staff is involved in an accident in the workplace. The only exception is if your staff are close family members, or are based abroad.

If you run a care home, your insurance needs will be more complex than if you visit your clients in their own home. To understand what sort of insurance you will need, you should consider all aspects of your business, from the staff you employ to buildings and contents insurance for the premises and any supplies and equipment on site.

» MORE: Business liability insurance explained

Do I need carers’ insurance?

Carers’ insurance is not required by law, with the exception of employers’ liability if you have employees who are not close family members or who are based abroad.

However, caring for people who are vulnerable comes with significant risks, so it may be a good idea to have public liability insurance to ensure you’re covered for accidentally causing an injury, illness or death to someone you’re responsible for.

» COMPARE: Employers’ liability insurance

What does carers’ insurance cover?

As mentioned, carers’ insurance is not a specific policy, but rather a term used for the various policies that might cover you for the legal and compensation costs of a mistake you make or accident that occurs while carrying out your care duties.

What is usually included in carers’ insurance?

Carers’ insurance usually includes:

  • public liability
  • personal accident
  • legal expenses
  • accidental death
  • accident-only hospitalisation
  • personal belongings

Often, you can choose to include or not include certain covers based on what suits the way you work. For example, a carer who visits other people’s homes will have different needs from a care business that also houses people.

What isn’t usually included in carers’ insurance?

Carers’ insurance packages don’t usually include car insurance as standard. As a self-employed carer, you’ll need Business Class 1 cover to be insured for driving between locations.

You may want to consider breakdown cover so that a mechanic can offer emergency assistance and get you back on the road as soon as possible.

If you offer clients advice about their care, then you may consider taking out professional indemnity insurance to protect you against claims for loss or damage as a result of your negligence.

How much does carers’ insurance cost?

It’s quite common for carers’ insurance to be tiered, so you can choose the level of cover that suits your particular circumstances.

For example, the most basic level of insurance might cover up to £1 million in public liability while the premium level of cover might cover up to £5 million in public liability insurance.

To help determine which level of cover you need, try to establish the potential legal and compensation costs of the worst-case scenario that could occur while caring for someone.

Often, you can choose to include some policies and not others in your carer’s insurance package, which will directly affect your costs.

However, accidents do happen so, while saving money in the short term may seem like a good idea, it could backfire in the future if you are liable for an incident that you don’t have cover for.

» MORE: Business insurance: Do I need it?

How to choose the best carers’ insurance policy for you?

When you know what level of cover you need, you’re ready to find the best policy for you. You could compare quotes right away.

Carers’ insurance FAQs

What types of insurance does a carer need?

Self-employed carers’ insurance might include public liability insurance with specific cover for accidental death, disability, and accident-only hospitalisation.

It might be worth considering legal expenses, personal accident and personal belongings cover in order to be comprehensively insured.

If you employ staff outside your immediate family, you will be required to have employer’s liability insurance of at least £5 million. Not having this insurance in place could result in a fine of £2,500 for every day you go without cover.

» COMPARE: Public liability insurance

Do care workers need professional indemnity insurance?

If you are providing professional advice in your capacity as a carer, you should consider professional indemnity insurance.

» COMPARE: Professional indemnity insurance

What is the right car insurance for a carer?

As a carer driving to and from care visits using your own vehicle, you will need to be covered by Business Class 1 car insurance.

About the author

Henry is passionate about helping individuals and businesses stay informed. Over the last 8 years, he’s written for startup and small business sites, with a focus on finance, insurance, and websites. Read more

How this service works

This insurance service is provided by Simply Business on behalf of NerdWallet Ltd.

The data you supply and submit is collected directly by Simply Business who are responsible for the handling and processing of that data.

By using their quote system you are agreeing to their terms and conditions and privacy policy which can be found here.

Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7NG.