NerdWallet Editorial Guidelines
At NerdWallet, our No. 1 priority is you. That’s why we share things like how we make money and uphold editorial guidelines to ensure integrity. And we do it all so you can enjoy our tools, advice and recommendations with clarity and confidence.
A world where everyone makes financial decisions with confidence.
Provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions.
- The editorial team at NerdWallet is committed to accurate, inclusive and actionable content that inspires and serves all readers. Our editorial principles and practices guide the ways in which we source, report, write and edit our stories. We follow a rigorous fact-checking process and correct errors fully and promptly.
- Editorial independence is a core value. Our editorial advice, recommendations and product assessments are not influenced by business partners, whether internal or external. We are transparent in how we make money.
- We are building an editorial team that reflects our diverse audience and its different financial situations. We welcome and encourage experiences and viewpoints that best help us connect with our readers, answer their questions and earn their trust.
- All readers are entitled to balanced, complete and accurate information.
- Our content promotes economic equity and strives to help all readers achieve financial health.
- Our sources are diverse and verifiably reputable. We seek experts who represent financially underserved consumers. We rarely use unnamed sources, and we explain why if we do.
- Our reviews of financial products are always objective. Our editorial content compares financial options and builds awareness of healthy alternatives so readers feel empowered to make informed decisions.
- Our editorial team of 100 editors, writers and others is exclusively responsible for creating all editorial content, including articles, reviews, guides and lists.
- The viewpoints expressed in our product reviews are solely editorial, based on thorough research, assessment and comparison with similar products. Product reviews are objective, factual and based on the actual features of the products.
- NerdWallet’s business partners and advertisers do not influence our editorial decisions or compromise our editorial integrity.
- Our editorial team does not recommend products based on business relationships.
- Editorial team members never receive direct compensation from NerdWallet’s business partners or advertisers.
- Our editorial team’s performance evaluations and compensation are not affected by favorable or unfavorable product reviews, nor influenced by business partners or advertisers.
Fact-checking and corrections
- All editorial content is fact-checked for accuracy, timeliness and relevance. We strive to ensure the information in each article is current as of the article’s publication date.
- All content flows through a careful fact-checking process involving writers, assigning editors and copy editors.
- Our writers rely on primary sources and authoritative sources, including interviews and government and industry websites, data and documents, to ensure our content is as clear and complete as possible.