If you can’t get enough of having affordable basics in your wardrobe, the Old Navy Visa® Credit Card may deserve a salute.
The Visa version and the store version of the card, both issued by Synchrony, are part of the family of branded cards from Gap Inc. In addition to Gap and Old Navy, that umbrella of clothing retailers also includes Banana Republic and Athleta.
The Old Navy Visa® Credit Card offers rewards and unique perks for loyalists of these brands, but there are also some pitfalls to be aware of. Here’s what to know.
1. You’ll earn rewards at Gap Inc. stores and anywhere Visa is accepted
- 5 points for every $1 spent at Gap Inc. brands in-store and online.
- 1 point for every $1 spent at other merchants that accept Visa.
Among the Gap Inc. retailers where you can earn 5 points per dollar: Gap, GapBody, babyGap, GapKids, Gap Maternity, Gap Outlet, Gap Factory Store, Banana Republic, Banana Republic Factory Store, Old Navy, Old Navy Outlet and Athleta.
2. Rewards can be redeemed only at Gap Inc. brands
The rewards you earn with the Old Navy Visa® Credit Card aren’t the most flexible; they can be applied only toward store purchases (not cash back) at the brands listed above.
There’s no total limit on the rewards you can earn, but there are other caps and rules.
For every 500 points you earn, you receive a reward of $5. You can earn up to a maximum of $50 at one time, and up to a max of $250 per billing cycle. Any rewards you earn that amount to less than $5 or that push you over $250 will be rolled over to a future billing cycle.
Reward points expire two years after your last purchase.
If you want more flexible rewards, consider general cash-back credit cards, which let you spend your rewards wherever you like.
3. Earn extra points by going paperless and submitting your email
The website for the Old Navy Visa® Credit Card gives cardholders the opportunity to earn an additional 500 points for each of the following:
- Providing your email address, which lets you opt in to updates and offers from Gap Inc. brands.
- Going paperless with your billing.
The 1,000-point bonus that you’ll earn by completing these tasks translates into a $10 reward at Gap Inc. stores.
4. Being a ‘Navyist’ comes with plenty of pros …
Cardholders can reach elite “Navyist” status by earning 5,000 points in a calendar year. This status grants access to:
- 20% extra rewards points every quarter.
- Free shipping with the code NAVYIST on any online order from Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta.
- Free basic alteration on Banana Republic purchases (Excludes leather and suede merchandise. Also not valid for merchandise from Banana Republic Factory Store, Gap, Old Navy and Athleta stores).
- A dedicated customer service hotline.
To maintain Navyist status, cardholders have to requalify every calendar year.
5. … But keep an eye on fees and APR
The Old Navy Visa® Credit Card has a $0 annual fee. However, you won’t get an introductory interest-free period. The ongoing APR is 26.49% Variable.
This means that if you aren’t paying off your card every month, you could rack up some hefty charges.