- This offer is for people with a good to excellent credit history which means, among other things, that your credit history is clear of bankruptcy and seriously delinquent accounts
- Earn $200 Bonus Cash Back after you make $500 in purchases in your first 3 months
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 spent at grocery stores and movie theaters from 4/1/12 - 6/30/12
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and even airlines. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- Up to an additional 10% Cash Back when you shop online at select merchants through Chase
- No annual fee and cash back rewards never expire
Min APR: 16.74%, Variable
Max APR: 23.74%, Variable
Penalty APR: Up to 30.74%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 23.99%, Variable
Not sure which card is best for you?
Aw nerds! It looks like this offer has expired. Please visit NerdWallet’s Chase Freedom® page for updated info.One of our most preferred cash back cards, the Chase Freedom® stands out for a number of reasons:
- It offers 5% cash back in bonus categories that change quarterly, up to $1,500 in purchases each quarter.
- It offers an unlimited 1% cash back everywhere else.
- It has a $0 annual fee, making it accessible to most people.
- It gives you access to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall, which earns you 2-20% extra rewards on preferred retailers.
Overview: The Chase Freedom is one of the bestWe consider the Chase Freedom® to be the best $0-fee cash back credit card. It offers a really good rewards rate - 5% on bonus categories (up to $1,500), 1% elsewhere - that works out on average to 2% in all the bonus categories year-round, and 1% everywhere else. So, on balance:
Chase Freedom®'s "2%" bonus categories: Groceries, drugstores, home improvement and furnishings, lawn and garden, gas, hotels, airfare, dining, department stores, movies, and charitable donations
There's also the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall. From the mall's website, you click through to a retailer's online storefront, and can shop to your heart's content. As long as you start off from the UR site, you'll earn 2-20% cash back on top of what you'd normally earn. The best part is that you get the full selection: rather than offering 5% back on Macy's sweaters, you get 5% back on everything at Macy's.com. Popular retailers include Kohl's and Macy's with 10% extra rewards; Lord & Taylor and Barnes & Noble with 8%; and Peet's Coffee, Overstock.com and Target, each with 5% back (current as of 12/28/11).
Finally, there's the signup bonus: Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.