- $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) - that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 14.49% to 25.49%.
- Over 1.5 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- View Rates and Fees
APR: 14.49% - 25.49% Variable APR
Penalty APR: 29.99%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 26.74%, Variable
- Leading cash-back rewards at U.S. supermarkets
- Bonus offer for new cardholders
- 0% APR period
- Has annual fee — but if you spend more than $31 per week at U.S. supermarkets, the rewards offset the fee
- American Express isn’t accepted at as many merchants as Visa or Mastercard
- $25 minimum redemption
$200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months. Terms Apply.
0% on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 12 months
Not sure which card is best for you?
Disclaimer: Any editorial content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the American Express Affiliate Program.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is one of the Nerds' top picks for consumers who do the bulk of their spending on groceries and gas. With it, you'll earn 6% cash back on purchases at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 spent per year — then 1%), 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. If you're a foodie or a road warrior, we can't think of another card out there that will yield bigger returns on your swipes.
To kick off your card membership, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express comes with a welcome bonus: $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months. Terms Apply.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express has an annual fee of $95, but people who spend at least $31 per week at supermarkets yearly will see their rewards earnings surpass what they're paying in fees. For more information about this card, check out our full review here.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.