- Get $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive $150 back in the form of a statement credit
- Earn Cash Back: 6% U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 3% U.S. gas stations & select U.S. dept stores, 1% other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card, you can start earning cash back. No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 21.99%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and limitations apply.
Min APR: 12.99%, Variable
Max APR: 21.99%, Variable
Penalty APR: Up to 29.24%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 25.24%, Variable
- Leading cash back rewards for groceries
- Sign-up bonus
- 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- Has annual fee - but if you spend more than $27/week the rewards offset the fees
- American Express isn’t accepted at as many merchants as Visa or MasterCard
Sign up bonus
Get $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive $150 back in the form of a statement credit.
0% on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
Disclaimer: Any editorial content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the American Express Affiliate Program.
American Express is a NerdWallet Partner
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is one of the Nerds' top picks for consumers who do the bulk of their spending on groceries and gas. With it, you'll earn 6% cash back on purchases at U.S. grocery stores (up to $6,000 spent per year — then 1%), 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select department stores, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. If you're a foodie or a road warrior, we can't think of another card out there that will yield bigger returns on your swipes.
To kick off your card membership, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express comes with a signup bonus: Get $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive $150 back in the form of a statement credit.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express charges an annual fee of $75, but people who spend more than $27 per week on groceries yearly will see their rewards earnings surpass what they're paying in fees. Also, if you spend enough to get the signup bonus, you've offset two years' worth of annual fees right out of the gate. For more information about this card, check out our full review here.
Write a reviewRead Our Posting Guidelines