- Special Offer - Earn 5% cash back on eligible travel purchases in the first 6 months, up to $200.
- Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
- Everyday Cash Back: 6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% at U.S. gas stations; 1% other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. You can only earn cash back on eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, currently 13.24% to 23.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- View Rates and Fees
APR: 13.24%-23.24% Variable
Penalty APR: Up to 29.49%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 25.49%, Variable
- Leading cash back rewards for groceries
- Sign-up bonus
- 0% APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers
- Has annual fee - but if you spend more than $31/week the rewards offset the fees
- American Express isn’t accepted at as many merchants as Visa or MasterCard
Special Offer - Earn 5% cash back on eligible travel purchases in the first 6 months, up to $200. Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months. Terms Apply
0% on Purchases for 12 months and 0% on Balance Transfers for 12 months
Disclaimer: Any editorial content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the American Express Affiliate Program.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is one of the Nerds' top picks for consumers who do the bulk of their spending on groceries and gas. With it, you'll earn 6% cash back on purchases at U.S. grocery stores (up to $6,000 spent per year — then 1%), 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select department stores, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. If you're a foodie or a road warrior, we can't think of another card out there that will yield bigger returns on your swipes.
To kick off your card membership, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express comes with a signup bonus: Special Offer - Earn 5% cash back on eligible travel purchases in the first 6 months, up to $200. Plus, earn $150 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months. Terms Apply
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express charges an annual fee of $95, but people who spend at least $31 per week on groceries yearly will see their rewards earnings surpass what they're paying in fees. For more information about this card, check out our full review here.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.