When it debuted in August 2019, the Apple Card vowed that more merchants would eventually be eligible for bonus cash back, and so far that’s been the case.
As of Sept. 20, 2019, in-store T-Mobile purchases made with the Apple Card through Apple Pay will earn 3% cash back. This includes one-time bill payments made via Apple Pay inside a physical T-Mobile store. (T-Mobile notes that Apple Pay functionality also will be coming to its website and mobile app, although the timetable is unclear.)
The addition of this 3% category coincides with the release of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, although the offer applies to any purchase made at a T-Mobile location, regardless of equipment brand.
- As of Sept. 13, 2019: Apple Card users can now earn 3% back on eligible Walgreens and Duane Reade purchases made via Apple Pay. This includes prescriptions, as well as purchases through the Walgreens app and on Walgreens.com.
- As of Aug. 20, 2019: Uber and Uber Eats were added as 3% cash-back categories through Apple Pay. Those weren’t listed among Apple Card’s bonus categories when the product was initially announced in March, but were included the day the card launched.
Apple notes that merchant offers can change at any time.
Current Apple Card rewards categories
|3% cash back||• Apple Pay purchases made directly with Apple (including Apple stores, within the App Store and for Apple services).
• Uber and Uber Eats purchases via Apple Pay.
• Walgreens and Duane Reade purchases via Apple Pay.
• In-store T-Mobile purchases via Apple Pay.
|2% cash back||All other purchases made via Apple Pay.|
|1% cash back||All purchases made with the physical Apple Card.|
Note that you must request the physical Apple Card separately. It allows you to buy at retailers that don’t accept Apple Pay, but only purchases made via Apple Pay are eligible for bonus rewards.