The Hartford reviews and ratings
- Middle of the pack in NerdWallet’s rankings for car insurance
- High customer satisfaction ratings for car insurance, average ratings for homeowners insurance
- More complaints than the median for both auto and homeowners insurance. Financial strength is excellent.
The Hartford is the nation’s 12th-largest auto insurance company based on direct premiums written. It offers group benefits, annuities and mutual funds in addition to its insurance products.
Auto insurance rating
The Hartford ranked 23rd in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 3.5 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
For a company of its size, The Hartford had more than the median number of complaints about auto insurance to state regulators in 2016, the latest data available, according to the the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. It had fewer than the median number of complaints for home insurance.
The median complaint ratio is 1, and numbers lower than 1 are better:
- Auto insurance complaints ratio: 1.2
- Homeowner insurance complaints ratio: 0.81
- The Hartford ranked “among the best” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked “among the best” in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study
- In J.D. Power’s 2016 Homeowners Insurance Study, The Hartford ranked “about average” for overall customer satisfaction
- It ranked “about average” for overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Property Insurance Claims Study
Financial strength: A (“excellent”)
The Hartford’s financial strength is “excellent,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
The Hartford auto insurance
The Hartford offers many perks to customers as a standard part of policies, including:
- A “no-drop promise.” The Hartford won’t cancel your coverage or decline to renew your policy just because you filed a claim.
- RecoverCare, which pays you up to $2,500 for transportation, cooking, cleaning and other costs if you can’t do those things after an injury in a car accident, when the injury isn’t covered by Medicare or health insurance.
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled within 15,000 miles or 15 months of purchase, The Hartford will write you a check for the value of a new vehicle of the same make and model and with the same equipment.
- Lifetime car repair assurance: If you use an authorized shop for repairs, The Hartford will stand by the work for as long as you own or lease the car.
Optional policy features from The Hartford are:
- First-accident forgiveness: Your premium won’t increase after your first accident, as long as you’ve had a clean record for the past five years.
- Disappearing deductible: For each year you keep a clean driving record, The Hartford reduces your collision deductible by $50, until it reaches $0.
- Waiver of deductible if you’re not at fault for an accident for which you’re making a claim, in most cases.
- One deductible: If you file a claim for a loss involving two vehicles covered by a policy with The Hartford, you’ll pay only the higher deductible. One deductible also applies to home and auto insurance if one event causes damage to both your home and vehicle.
You can upgrade to first-accident forgiveness and a disappearing deductible only with an Advantage Plus policy, although other features may be available on their own.
The Hartford home insurance
The Hartford’s Home Advantage Package includes many attractive features:
- “New for old” protection: Pays the actual cost to replace your possessions with new items, regardless of the old possessions’ age or condition.
- Reimbursement for replacing locks: After a $100 deductible, The Hartford pays up to $500 to replace your locks if a key is lost or stolen.
- Identity fraud expense coverage: Pays out-of-pocket expenses up to $50,000 to help you recover after fraud or identity theft. This can help reimburse you for lost income and legal fees for correcting identity fraud problems.
The Home Advantage Plus package includes everything in the Home Advantage package plus:
- Disappearing property deductible: For every three years you don’t file a claim, your deductible is reduced by $50.
- Equipment Protection Advantage: Helps pay to repair or replace appliances and electronics that break down due to normal wear and tear.
The Hartford also offers some additional options for homeowners, including:
- Full Replacement Cost, Maybe More: An option that pays up to 125% of your coverage limits if you need to completely rebuild your home after a loss. In some areas, the option pays up to 150% of coverage limit, but it’s not available everywhere.
- ProtectorPlus Zero Deductible: This option waives your deductible up to $5,000 if you make a claim of $25,000 or more.
- Green Rebuilding: If you use environmentally friendly materials or methods to repair your home after a claim, this option increases your policy limits by up to 10%.
AARP/The Hartford Insurance
AARP offers auto and homeowners insurance to its members through a partnership with The Hartford. Products and features are tailored specifically for people over 50 who are looking for discounts on auto and home insurance.
AARP/The Hartford’s auto and home insurance policies have features similar to those in standard policies from The Hartford, plus two additional perks:
- Lifetime renewability: Once you have a policy, the company won’t deny you coverage as long as you pay your premiums, have a valid driver’s license and meet other requirements.
- Policy discounts exclusively for AARP members.
AARP members with a home or auto policy through The Hartford can also buy insurance policies for recreational equipment, including:
- Recreational vehicles
- All-terrain vehicles
- Golf carts
In addition to its own policies, The Hartford partners with other insurers to offer additional types of insurance to its AARP customers, including:
- Classic car insurance
- Boat insurance
More about The Hartford Insurance
Mobile app: You can log in to the app and pay bills, track claims, view your policy, see your electronic auto ID card (depending on your state) and more. You can also do some things without logging in, such as calling for roadside assistance, locating a repair shop or agent and reporting a claim.
Other types of insurance available from The Hartford:
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Flood insurance
- Business insurance
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.