The Hartford reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or better for car insurance and homeowners insurance.
- More than the expected number of complaints, relative to insurer size, for auto and home insurance.
- Offers policies only to AARP members in most states.
The Hartford’s insurance offerings are targeted toward the 50 and older crowd, cemented by a partnership with AARP to bring additional savings and perks to members. Non-AARP members can purchase policies through independent insurance agents, and the company also offers group benefits, business insurance and mutual funds.
The Hartford auto insurance
The Hartford auto insurance earned 4.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
AARP offers auto and homeowners insurance to its members through a partnership with The Hartford. AARP/The Hartford’s auto and home insurance policies have features similar to those in standard policies from The Hartford, but are tailored to drivers over 50.
AARP auto insurance policies from The Hartford automatically include:
- Policy discounts exclusively for AARP members.
- RecoverCare, which pays for transportation, cooking, cleaning and other costs if you can’t do those things after an injury in a car accident, when the injury isn’t covered by Medicare or health insurance. Availability varies by state.
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled within 15,000 miles or 15 months of purchase, The Hartford will write you a check for the value of a new vehicle of the same make and model and with the same equipment.
- 12-month auto insurance rate protection, which locks your premium for a year (rather than the standard six-months most companies issue).
- Lifetime car repair assurance, if your car is fixed at an approved repair shop.
Optional policy features from The Hartford through its Advantage Plus package include:
- First-accident forgiveness: Your premium won’t increase after your first accident, as long as you’ve had a clean record for the past five years. Accident forgiveness is not available in California.
- Disappearing deductible: For each year you keep a clean driving record, The Hartford reduces your collision deductible, until it reaches $0 (or $100 in New York). This feature is not available in California.
- Waiver of deductible if you’re not at fault for an accident for which you’re making a claim, in most cases. This is not available in all states.
- One deductible: If you file a claim for a loss involving two vehicles covered by a policy with The Hartford, you’ll pay only the higher deductible. One deductible also applies to home and auto insurance if one event causes damage to both your home and vehicle.
- $100 collision deductible reduction if you choose a Hartford-authorized shop for your repairs after a claim, but it isn’t available in every state.
You can upgrade to first-accident forgiveness and a disappearing deductible only with an Advantage Plus policy in states where it’s available, although other features may be available on their own.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
The Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for:
- Bundling policies.
- Vehicles with alternate fuel types.
- Having young driver training.
- Cars with more than one air bag.
- Being a good student.
- A car with active or passive anti-theft devices.
- Completing an approved defensive driver course.
- Paying for your policy upfront.
The Hartford homeowners insurance
The Hartford’s Home Advantage Package includes many attractive features, including:
- “New for old” protection: Pays the actual cost to replace your possessions with new items, regardless of the old possessions’ age or condition (often known as contents replacement cost coverage).
- Reimbursement for replacing locks: After a $100 deductible, The Hartford pays up to $500 to replace your locks if a key is lost or stolen.
- Personal injury liability coverage helps pay for damages from a libel or slander claim, which standard liability coverage typically does not.
- Identity fraud expense coverage: Pays out-of-pocket expenses up to $25,000 to help you recover after fraud or identity theft. This can help reimburse you for lost income and legal fees for correcting identity fraud problems.
The Home Advantage Plus package includes everything in the Home Advantage package plus:
- Disappearing property deductible: For every three years you don’t file a claim, your deductible is reduced by $50.
- Equipment Protection Advantage: Helps pay to repair or replace appliances and electronics that break down due to normal usage. This coverage will also pay up to 125% of your cost to replace covered equipment with environmentally friendly or efficient upgrades.
- Valuable items blanket raises the payout limit for items such as jewelry and silverware if they’re stolen, lost or damaged — up to $10,000 per item.
Benefits such as the contents replacement coverage and disappearing property deducible are not available in all states.
The Hartford also offers several additional options for homeowners, including:
- Full Replacement Cost, Maybe More: An option that pays up to 125% of your coverage limits if you need to completely rebuild your home after the unthinkable strikes. In some areas, the option pays up to 150% of coverage limit, but it’s not available everywhere.
- ProtectorPlus Zero Deductible: This option waives your deductible up to $5,000 if you make a claim of $27,500 or more.
- Green Rebuilding: If you use environmentally friendly materials or methods to repair your home after a claim, this option increases your policy limits by up to 10%.
- Assisted living care coverage extends contents, liability, and additional living expense coverage to a relative in an assisted living care facility.
- Replacement plus coverage helps pay for costs to upgrade a kitchen or bathroom.
- Water backup and sump pump overflow reimburses you if your property is damaged by backed-up water or overflow from a sump pump.
- Scheduled personal property will cover 100% of the inured value of selected items if they’re damaged or destroyed. You may need to have items appraised before they can be scheduled.
The Hartford offers home insurance discounts for:
- Bundling policies.
- Having home security features.
- Installing certain fire protection devices like smoke detectors or monitored fire alarms.
- Owning a new home.
- Having filed no homeowners claims.
The Hartford complaints and customer satisfaction
The Hartford had more than the expected number of complaints about auto and home insurance to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. It had far more than the expected number of complaints about life insurance.
|2019 J.D. Power Study||The Hartford ranks...|
|Auto Insurance Shopping||About average|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction||About average|
|Home Insurance||About average|
|Property Claims||Better than most|
More about The Hartford insurance
Mobile app: You can log in to the app and pay bills, track claims, view your policy, see your electronic auto ID card (depending on your state) and more. You can also summon roadside assistance, locate a repair shop or agent and start a claim.
|Policies available through The Hartford or third-party partners:|
|Boat insurance||Classic car insurance|
|Recreational vehicle insurance||ATV insurance|
|Snowmobile insurance||Condo insurance|
|Renters insurance||Umbrella insurance|
Recap: The Hartford pros and cons
|Ability to bundle your auto, home and life coverages under one insurer||Policies only available for AARP members in most states|
|More than the expected number of complaints for auto, home and life products|
|You must purchase an auto or home policy to purchase certain others|