A home equity line of credit, so often referred to as a HELOC, is a convenient way to draw on the value of your home — and tap the equity only as you need it. That’s a good thing, because your home’s long-term value can be a real wealth-building tool.
Having a HELOC to access can be a real budget saver, especially when you use your home’s equity for the right reasons.
NerdWallet has chosen some of the best mortgage lenders for a home equity line of credit in several categories, to help you find the one that’s right for you.
Best HELOC lenders
Best cash-out refinance lenders
A cash-out refi can be a solid alternative to home equity lines of credit, and you’ll often find it offered with a lower, fixed interest rate. Below are two cash-out refinance lenders, but be sure to review our entire list of the best cash-out refinance lenders.
Ideal for refinancing online or in person. Loan Depot has a fully-online application process as well as hundreds of affiliated lending centers across the nation. Well-rated for low customer complaint volume, too.
Best HELOC lenders: summary
- Best for unique account features: U.S. Bank
- Best for unique account features: PenFed
- Best for face-to-face service: CitiMortgage
- Best for face-to-face service: Chase
- Best for financial flexibility features: PNC
- Best for financial flexibility features: Connexus
- Best for existing-customer perks: SunTrust
- Best for existing-customer perks: Flagstar Bank
- Best for selection of mortgage products: CitiMortgage
- Best for selection of mortgage products: Chase
- Best for cash-out refinance: Rocket Mortgage
- Best for cash-out refinance: LoanDepot