Overall bank rating
The bottom line: Union Bank is a regional bank with a full lineup of checking and savings accounts. Although the branch network may be convenient if you live on the West Coast, rates on savings and certificates of deposit are low, and there aren’t free checking or savings options for most customers. If you want competitive savings and CD rates and some branch access, check out Union Bank’s online division, PurePoint Financial. Best if: You want branch access and live on the West Coast. » Want more options? See NerdWallet’s list of best banks for checking and savings
- Over 300 branches and 540 ATMs in California, Oregon and Washington.
- Easy to waive monthly fees for basic accounts.
- Extended customer service hours, including Saturdays.
- $10 monthly fee ($8 in OR and WA) on basic checking and $4 on savings.
- Low rates across the board.
- $33 overdraft fee that can be charged up to five times per day.
NerdWallet’s overall ratings for banks and credit unions are weighted averages of several categories: checking, savings, certificates of deposit or credit union share certificates, banking experience and overdraft fees. Factors we consider, depending on the category, include rates and fees, ATM and branch access, account features and limits, user-facing technology, customer service and innovation. The stars represent ratings from poor (one star) to excellent (five stars). Ratings are rounded to the nearest half-star.