Advertiser Disclosure

The Best Obamacare Health Insurance Plans in California: Orange County

Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.

The best health insurance plan in Orange County will depend on your health status, how much you can spend on monthly premiums and many other factors. Here is a listing of all of the plans available in your area, accompanied by premium estimates and links to provider networks for each company. Looking for plan information in Los Angeles? Find it here. You can also view our California health insurance plan directory.

Do you have experience with these insurance companies? Share your review in the comment section below.

Obamacare Health Insurance Plans in Orange County

 

Health
Insurance Company
Health
Plan
Name
Estimated Monthly Premium* Doctors Included
in Plan
Shop for Health Insurance
Anthem Anthem Bronze 60 Health Savings Account PPO $232 Visit Anthem to locate in-network doctors>> Apply Nowfor Anthem health insurance plans
Anthem Bronze 60 PPO $231
Anthem Multi State Plan Silver 70 PPO $305
Anthem Multi State Plan Gold 80 PPO $373
Anthem Platinum 90 PPO $437
Anthem Silver 70 HMO $307
Anthem Gold 80 HMO $391
Anthem Platinum 90 HMO $451
Blue Shield Blue Shield Bronze 60 Health Savings Account PPO $252 Visit Blue Shield to locate in-network doctors>> Apply Nowfor Blue Shield health insurance plans
Blue Shield Bronze 60 PPO $257
Blue Shield Silver 70 PPO $311
Blue Shield Gold 80 PPO $366
Blue Shield Platinum 90 PPO $419
Health Net Health Net Bronze 60 HCSP $256 Visit Health Net to locate in-network doctors>> Apply Nowfor Health Net health insurance plans
Health Net Silver 70 HMO $278
Health Net Gold 80 HMO $313
Health Net Platinum 90 HMO $351
Kaiser Permanente Kaiser Permanente Bronze 60 Health Savings Account HMO $237 Visit Kaiser to locate in-network doctors>> Apply Nowfor Kaiser health insurance plans
Kaiser Permanente Bronze 60 HMO $243
Kaiser Permanente Silver 70 HMO $324
Kaiser Permanente Gold 80 HMO $394
Kaiser Permanente Platinum 90 HMO $421
*Premiums are estimated for a 40-year-old before government subsidies.
Source: Covered California Health Insurance Companies and Plan Rates for 2015 and Shop and Compare Tool.

As you’re shopping for a plan, you’ll notice that they’re divided into metal tiers—a term foreign to most of us. Here is some more information on metal tiers:

Obamacare plans are organized into four metal tiers, based on actuarial value. The four tiers, in increasing order, are Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Higher metal tiers have higher monthly premiums, but lower cost-sharing. Although metal tiers differ in terms of cost-sharing and premiums, all Obamacare plans include access to the same essential health benefits.

  • Platinum Health Plan: the highest tier in an exchange, with the highest monthly premiums. On average, an individual with this plan will have 90% of health care costs covered by the insurance company, and can expect to cover the remaining 10% out of pocket. These percentages vary by state.
  • Gold Health Plan: the second-highest tier in an exchange, with the second-highest monthly premiums. On average, an individual with this plan will have 80% of health care costs covered, and can expect to cover the remaining 20% out of pocket. These percentages vary by state.
  • Silver Health Plan: the second-lowest tier in an exchange, with the second-lowest monthly premiums. On average, an individual with this plan will have 70% of the tier benefits covered, and can expect to cover the remaining 30% out of pocket. These percentages vary by state.
  • Bronze Health Plan: the lowest tier in an exchange, with the lowest monthly premiums. On average, an individual with this plan will have 60% of the tier benefits covered, and on average must cover the remaining 40% out of pocket. These percentages vary by state.

California flag photo courtesy of Shutterstock.