- Specializes in selling minimum required car insurance.
- Focuses on high-risk drivers.
- Can provide SR-22 forms for drivers who need one.
Good2Go has an unusual and complex operating structure. The name refers to an insurance agency as well as several insurance companies owned by the same firm. Good2Go sells policies through its own member companies as well as outside partners, so it may be unclear which company you’re getting a quote from until you enter some of your personal data.
Regulators in at least three states have found fault with the business practices of companies that operate under the Good2Go brand. In addition, financial strength ratings agencies have raised concerns about the companies’ ability to pay claims.
NerdWallet recommends exploring all other alternatives before considering Good2Go. If you’re shopping for minimum required car insurance, you have many options that are likely to be better choices.
How Good2Go auto insurance works
Good2Go specializes in providing the minimum coverage a driver needs to meet state laws. It caters to high-risk drivers who may have trouble getting car insurance elsewhere.
Good2Go sells auto policies online and by phone and is licensed to sell insurance in all states except Alaska, Hawaii, Kansas, Massachusetts, Montana and Rhode Island. Some of the policies come from seven insurers that are under the same ownership as the Good2Go agency:
- American Independent Insurance.
- Apollo Casualty.
- Bankers Independent Insurance.
- Delphi Casualty.
- Omni Indemnity.
- Omni Insurance.
- Personal Service Insurance.
Together these seven companies, which operate under the Good2Go brand, are licensed to issue insurance policies in 26 states and Washington, D.C. However, insurers don’t always issue policies in every state where they’re licensed.
Good2Go also offers policies from partner companies, including several that provide quotes online and specialize in covering high-risk drivers. Good2Go’s partners include:
- Bristol West.
- The General.
- Plymouth Rock.
- Progressive, one of the nation’s largest auto insurance companies.
Good2Go auto insurance
Although Good2Go focuses on selling liability insurance to high-risk drivers, the agency also offers optional comprehensive and collision coverage. If you owe money on a car loan or lease, your lender may require this coverage, which pays to repair or replace your car if it’s stolen or damaged, no matter who is at fault.
Good2Go also offers:
- Roadside assistance, including coverage for towing.
- SR-22 availability. You can get an SR-22 form, a document that your state may require to prove you have insurance after a DUI or some other serious violation.
Payment options: Good2Go says it can provide immediate proof of insurance when you buy a policy, with down payments as low as $20. Additional payments are due 20 and 37 days later, then every 30 days. Quarterly and annual payment options are also available.
Good2Go’s auto insurance discounts
Good2Go has a hefty list of discounts, but not all are available in every state or from every company Good2Go represents. Depending on the policy, you may be offered discounts for:
- Insuring more than one vehicle.
- Paying your premium in full, upfront.
- Owning your home.
- Having good grades, if you or someone insured on your policy is a student.
- Renewing your policy with Good2Go.
- Taking a defensive driving class or completing driver’s education.
- Avoiding accidents and traffic violations.
- Having been insured at least six months in a row with your previous insurer.
- Not owning a vehicle. (You would be covered when driving one you rented or borrowed.)
- Driving a car with safety features like air bags.
- Driving a car with a built-in anti-theft system.
- Having your car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) etched onto its windows, making the car less appealing to thieves.
- Using the Good2Go Auto Insurance LifeSaver mobile app to block text messages when you’re driving.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Complaints about Good2Go
Over three years, Good2Go branded insurers have drawn far more complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size, according to a NerdWallet analysis of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Good2Go insurance
Website: The Good2Go website explains car insurance requirements for each state, including drunken driving penalties, SR-22 requirements, consequences of driving without car insurance and laws about texting or using a cell phone while driving. The Good2Go website offers the option to log in to see policy information and make payments. However, Good2Go doesn’t offer a mobile app for managing policies.
Filing a claim: Good2Go doesn’t offer 24/7 claim filing or the ability to file online. Claims must be filed by calling Good2Go during weekday business hours, and each claim is handled by a claim representative.
Recap: Good2Go pros and cons
|Lots of discounts||Far more than the expected number of consumer complaints to state regulators|
|Can get an SR-22 if you need one||Financial stability concerns|
|History of penalties from state regulators|