- Has more than the median number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance and about the median for home insurance.
- Has a lot of policy and coverage options.
- Earned J.D. Power’s top award for customer satisfaction with the digital insurance shopping experience.
Compare auto insurance policies instantlyPlease enter a valid zip code
Mapfre, an insurance giant based in Spain, is Massachusetts’ biggest auto and homeowners insurer and also offers coverage in 18 other states. Mapfre sells policies through independent agents and has a wide assortment of options and discounts. Its website is available in both English and Spanish. Here are the states where you can get Mapfre insurance:
Mapfre insurance review details
Auto insurance rating
Mapfre ranked 24th out of 24 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 3 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on recent:
- J.D. Power ratings for customer service, claims satisfaction and shopping satisfaction.
- Consumer Reports customer satisfaction ratings.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Mapfre auto insurance coverage options
Mapfre offers all the standard coverages, including liability and other state-required coverage types, towing and rental car coverage when your vehicle is disabled, and comprehensive and collision insurance.
The company also offers several add-on options, including:
- New car replacement insurance. With this optional coverage, you typically can get a payment for the cost of a new car, less your deductible, if your vehicle is totaled or stolen while it’s still relatively new and if it meets other requirements.
- Disappearing deductible. By staying claim-free, you can earn credits to lower the deductible on your collision coverage. A deductible is the amount an insurer subtracts from your settlement for a claim check. At Mapfre you can earn a $50 credit for your first claim-free year and up to $300 in credits if you continue claim-free for more than five years.
- Accident forgiveness. With this add-on, causing an accident won’t make your premium go up.
The AutoMaster package, available in most states where Mapfre operates, bundles new car replacement insurance with several more add-on coverages, including laptop computer and cell phone replacement. Details of the AutoMaster package can differ by state.
To streamline repairs, Mapfre partners with a network of auto repair shops. If you choose one of these shops when you have a claim, the repair is covered by a warranty for as long as you own the car. Mapfre has a similar network of shops to repair or replace broken glass, such as a cracked windshield.
In Massachusetts, Mapfre has drive-in appraisal centers for quick evaluations of damage to your car. A locator on Mapfre’s website shows where to find them.
Auto insurance discounts from Mapfre include:
- Multipolicy and multicar discounts.
- Discount for completing driver training programs, including teenSmart for young drivers.
- Discount for having no at-fault accidents or traffic violations for three years.
- Discounts for switching to Mapfre from another insurer.
- Discount for paying your premium in full, upfront.
- Paperless and online payments discount.
- Low-mileage discount.
- AAA membership discount.
- Student discounts for good grades or leaving the car at home while at school more than 100 miles away.
DriveAdvisor is a voluntary program that monitors your driving habits through a phone app. You get a discount when you get started, and you can earn a discount for safe driving behavior.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Mapfre homeowner insurance coverage options
Like other homeowners policies, coverage from Mapfre will pay out if your property is damaged by fire, storms, lightning, falling trees or other objects, theft or vandalism. Mapfre’s policies come with a high-tech bonus: around-the-clock access to an IT help desk that can assist with problems like computer viruses, malfunctioning Wi-Fi connections and sluggish laptops.
You can also buy add-ons to cover more situations:
- Replacement cost coverage will pay what’s needed to replace your home if your policy’s limit is too low to cover the full cost.
- Water and sewer backup isn’t typically covered by standard policies. This add-on will pay for repairs.
- Home systems protection will pay for the failure of equipment like your furnace, air conditioner, and built-in appliances.
- Extra coverage for valuable items like furs, jewelry and silverware is available.
- Fraud protection pays if you’re a victim of forgery or counterfeit money.
- Personal injury liability helps cover costs associated with issues like libel, slander, wrongful entry and false arrest.
- Special personal property coverage broadens your standard homeowners insurance by covering more ways your property might be damaged.
Mapfre’s Premier Living package bundles many of these add-ons plus several others, including coverage for identity theft, additional living expenses while your home is being repaired, and the cost to bring damaged property up to current building codes if local laws have changed.
Mapfre at a glance
FINANCIAL STRENGTH: A (“EXCELLENT”)
Mapfre’s financial strength is “excellent,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. An insurer’s financial strength indicates how well it can pay claims.
Mapfre had more than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2018 relative to its size for auto insurance and about the median number of complaints relative to its size for homeowners coverage, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Mapfre’s customer satisfaction ratings are mixed. In recent J.D. Power studies, the company earned top marks for its online shopping experience but below-average scores in several other categories.
|Recent J.D. Power study||Mapfre ranks...|
|Digital insurance shopping experience||Among the best, winning the top award|
|Digital insurance service experience||Below average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Below average|
|Home insurance||About average|
|Property insurance claims||Below average|
More About Mapfre Insurance
Website: Mapfre’s website is available in both English and Spanish. It provides basic information on coverage, add-ons and discounts, along with a link to quickly search for a nearby agent. You can use the website to manage your policy, report claims and make payments. J.D. Power’s 2019 study of customer satisfaction with digital insurance shopping rated Mapfre among the best in every category it measured — digital appearance, navigation, range of services, the availability and clarity of information, and overall satisfaction.
Mobile apps: You can download several apps to use with Mapfre insurance. They’re available for both Android and Apple.
- Go Mapfre allows you to view your policy, make payments, submit claims and more. It’s available to customers in California, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Florida and Massachusetts.
- ePics lets you upload photos after an auto accident to get a claim estimate. A separate version for Mapfre homeowners insurance lets you submit home inspection photos when a claim has been started.
- DriveAdvisor tracks driving behavior like speeding, accelerating and braking. You can get feedback on your driving and see how you compare with others. And parents may appreciate this feature: You can monitor the driving habits of family members such as new teen drivers.
Other insurance types: In addition to auto and homeowners insurance, you can get these types of insurance from Mapfre.
|Condo||All-terrain vehicle||Motor home|
|Renters||Motorcycle||Boat (in some states)|
|Antique home restoration||Trailer||Commercial auto|
Recap: Mapfre pros and cons
|High customer satisfaction with digital shopping experience||Not available in all states|
|A lot of coverage options and discounts||Below-average auto insurance claims satisfaction|
|Website available in Spanish||Higher than median complaints about auto insurance to state regulators|
NerdWallet’s star ratings are based on the following three factors, each weighted equally to produce a 300-point maximum total score:
- 2018 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for private passenger auto insurance. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2017 company satisfaction data from Consumer Reports’ most recent car insurance survey. Higher satisfaction ratings from Consumer Reports were given higher scores in our calculation.
- 2018 J.D. Power ratings from three studies encompassing regional customer service satisfaction, auto claims satisfaction and shopping satisfaction. Ratings from each of the separate 2018 studies were averaged to form one overall score from J.D. Power. The higher the average, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.