- Has more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance and far more than expected for home insurance.
- Has a lot of policy and coverage options.
- Website available in English and Spanish.
Mapfre, an insurance giant based in Spain, is Massachusetts’ biggest auto and homeowners insurer and also offers coverage in 13 other states. Mapfre sells policies through independent agents and has a wide assortment of options and discounts. Its website is available in both English and Spanish.
Mapfre auto insurance
Mapfre auto insurance earned 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account a number of details including pricing, discounts and ease of filing a claim. Other factors analyzed include website transparency, financial strength and complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Mapfre offers all the standard coverages, including liability and other state-required coverage types, towing and rental car coverage when your vehicle is disabled, and comprehensive and collision insurance.
The company also offers several add-on options, including:
- New car replacement insurance. With this optional coverage, you typically can get a payment for the cost of a new car, less your deductible, if your vehicle is totaled or stolen while it’s still relatively new and if it meets other requirements.
- Disappearing deductible. By staying claim-free, you can earn credits to lower the deductible on your collision coverage. A deductible is the amount an insurer subtracts from your settlement for a claim check. At Mapfre you can earn a $50 credit for your first claim-free year and up to $300 in credits if you continue claim-free for more than five years.
- Accident forgiveness. With this add-on, causing an accident won’t make your premium go up.
The AutoMaster package, available in most states where Mapfre operates, bundles new car replacement insurance with several more add-on coverages, including laptop computer and cell phone replacement. Details of the AutoMaster package can differ by state.
In Massachusetts, Mapfre has drive-in appraisal centers for quick evaluations of damage to your car. A locator on Mapfre’s website shows where to find them.
Auto insurance discounts from Mapfre include:
- Multipolicy and multicar discounts.
- Discount for completing driver training programs, including teenSmart for young drivers.
- Discount for having no at-fault accidents or traffic violations for three years.
- Loyalty discount.
- Discount for paying your premium in full, upfront.
- Paperless and online payments discount.
- Low-mileage discount.
- AAA membership discount.
- Student discounts for good grades or leaving the car at home while at school more than 100 miles away.
DriveAdvisor is a voluntary program that monitors your driving habits through a phone app. You get a discount when you sign up and get started, and you can earn a discount for safe driving behavior.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Mapfre homeowners insurance
Like other homeowners insurance policies, coverage from Mapfre will pay out if your property is damaged by fire, storms, lightning, falling trees or other objects, theft or vandalism. Mapfre’s policies come with a high-tech bonus: around-the-clock access to an IT help desk that can assist with problems like computer viruses, malfunctioning Wi-Fi connections and sluggish laptops.
You can also buy add-ons to cover more situations:
- Replacement cost coverage will pay what’s needed to replace your home if your policy’s limit is too low to cover the full cost.
- Water and sewer backup isn’t typically covered by standard policies. This add-on will pay for repairs due to flooding or other damage if service lines break.
- Home systems protection will pay for the failure of equipment like your furnace, air conditioner, and built-in appliances.
- Home restoration program will expedite the time it takes to return your home to its previous condition and includes water damage, fire and smoke and biohazard clean up among disciplines.
- Extra coverage for valuable items like furs, jewelry and silverware is available.
- Fraud protection pays if you’re a victim of forgery or counterfeit money.
- Personal injury liability helps cover costs associated with issues like libel, slander, wrongful entry and false arrest.
- Special personal property coverage broadens your standard homeowners insurance by covering more ways your belongings might be damaged or lost.
Mapfre’s Premier Living package bundles many of these add-ons plus several others, including coverage for identity theft, additional living expenses while your home is being repaired, and the cost to bring damaged property up to current building codes if local laws have changed.
Mapfre’s home insurance discounts:
- New home discount.
- Security discount.
- Discount for having no claims.
Mapfre complaints and customer satisfaction
Mapfre had more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance and far more than expected for homeowners coverage, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
Mapfre’s customer satisfaction score in the 2020 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction study was below average.
More About Mapfre Insurance
Website: Mapfre’s website is available in both English and Spanish. It provides basic information on coverage, add-ons and discounts, along with a link to quickly search for a nearby agent. You can use the website to manage your policy, report claims and make payments.
Mobile apps: You can download several apps to use with Mapfre insurance. They’re available for both Android and iOS.
- Go Mapfre allows you to view your policy, make payments, submit claims and more. It’s available to customers in California, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Florida and Massachusetts.
- ePics lets you upload photos after minor auto accidents to get a claim estimate. A separate version for Mapfre homeowners insurance lets you submit home inspection photos when a claim has been started.
- DriveAdvisor tracks driving behavior like speeding, accelerating and braking. You can get feedback on your driving and see how you compare with others. And parents may appreciate this feature: You can monitor the driving habits of family members such as new teen drivers.
Other insurance types: In addition to auto and homeowners insurance, other types of insurance from Mapfre include.
|Antique home restoration||Trailer|
|Motor home||Boat (in some states)|
|Moped or scooter||Business|
Recap: Mapfre pros and cons
|Website available in Spanish||Not available in all states|
|A lot of coverage options and discounts||Below-average auto insurance claims satisfaction|
|Higher than expected complaints about auto insurance to state regulators|