Mercury reviews and ratings
- Mercury’s customer satisfaction ratings are average or worse
- Has fewer auto insurance complaints than other companies of similar size, but far more home insurance complaints
- Auto insurance policies have few extras, which can keep prices low
Mercury Insurance has a large presence in California, but it also offers auto insurance in 10 other states, plus additional products such as home, renters and commercial auto insurance. Its policies are sold through a network of independent agents.
Auto insurance rating
Mercury Insurance ranked 15th of 25 insurers in NerdWallet’s rankings of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 out of 5 stars. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
A.M. Best financial strength rating: A+ (superior)
Mercury’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Consumer complaints: fewer than the median
Mercury had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
However, it had far more than the median number of complaints for home insurance.
J.D. Power ratings: Average or better
- Mercury ranked “about average” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2017 U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked among “the rest” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Home Insurance Study
- It ranked among “the rest” for overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Property Claims Satisfaction Study
MERCURY AUTO INSURANCE
Mercury is a meat-and-potatoes auto insurer, with coverage options that start and end with the basics, including:
- Collision and comprehensive
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage
Mercury also has rental car coverage and roadside assistance available. Here’s where Mercury is available:
Mercury home insurance
Mercury’s options for home insurance include all the standard options, plus a few add-on features, including:
- Identity theft protection: pays for costs related to fixing criminal identity theft
- Extended replacement cost: pays up to 150% of your dwelling limit to rebuild your home
- Additional coverage for valuables, such as jewelry or fine art, is available
More about Mercury
Mobile app: You can pay bills, view documents, download car insurance ID cards and summon roadside assistance with Mercury’s customer app.
Other types of insurance: In addition to auto and home, Mercury offers the following insurance, though not every type is available in all states where Mercury operates:
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Mechanical breakdown protection for repairing mechanical and electrical issues with your vehicle (doesn’t pay to repair wear and tear).
- Commercial auto insurance
- Business insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- 2016 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2017 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2016 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.