Mercury Insurance reviews and ratings
- Mercury’s customer satisfaction ratings are worse than average.
- Has about the expected number of auto insurance complaints compared to other companies relative to its size and more than the expected amount of home insurance complaints.
- Auto insurance policies have few extras, which can keep prices low.
Mercury Insurance has a large auto insurance customer base in California, but it also operates in 10 other states and offers additional products such as home, renters and commercial auto insurance. Its policies are sold through a network of independent agents.
Mercury auto insurance
Mercury auto insurance earned 4.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings Mercury Insurance ranks 20 in our list of the 20 best car insurance companies for 2020.
Mercury is a meat-and-potatoes auto insurer, with basic coverage options, including optional rental car coverage and roadside assistance. In addition, any repairs made at a repair facility approved by Mercury are guaranteed for the lifetime of your vehicle.
Rideshare insurance is also available from Mercury. Traditional auto insurance policies don’t cover you while you drive for companies like Uber or Lyft, and those companies’ insurance only covers drivers with passengers or en route to pick them up. But while you’re waiting for a fare, neither policy covers you and that’s where rideshare coverage fills the gap. You must have a Mercury auto insurance policy to add this option.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Mercury auto insurance discounts:
- Auto pay discount.
- Discount for drivers who install an anti-theft device in their vehicle.
- Good-student discount.
- Multiple policy (bundling) discount.
- Multi-car discount.
- Pay-in-full discount.
- Discount for using electronic signatures.
- Discount based on how far you drive.
Mercury homeowners insurance
Mercury’s options for home insurance include all the standard options, plus a few add-on features, including:
- Identity theft protection and management: pays for identity theft prevention and costs related to fixing criminal identity theft, up to $25,000.
- Coverage for large appliances and equipment repairs, including air conditioning systems, kitchen and laundry appliances, water heaters, electrical panels and more.
- Service pipe coverage pays for repairs or replacement of service lines such as sewer, water and gas lines if damaged, up to $10,000 per claim. Without this coverage, you would be on the hook for these repairs, even though they connect to city-owned or utility-owned lines.
- Extended replacement cost: pays up to 150% of your dwelling limit to rebuild your home.
- Additional coverage for valuables, such as jewelry or fine art, is available.
- Cyber coverage pays out if you’re the victim of an online attack such as online fraud or extortion, up to $50,000 with a $500 deductible.
Mercury homeowner insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount.
- Protective devices discount.
- Fire-resistant construction materials discount.
- Discount for owning a newer home.
- Gated community discount.
Mercury complaints and customer satisfaction
Mercury had close to the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. It had more than the expected number of complaints for home insurance.
In one J.D. Power study from 2019, the Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction study, Mercury ranked below average or among “the rest.”
More about Mercury
Mobile app: You can pay bills, view documents, download car insurance ID cards and contact your agent with Mercury’s customer app, but it’s only available for Android devices and has a low star rating in the Google Play store.
|Other types of insurance from Mercury|
|Condo insurance||Business insurance|
|Renters insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Mechanical breakdown insurance||Landlord insurance|
Recap: Mercury pros and cons
|Rideshare insurance available||More than the expected number of complaints for home insurance|
|Additional homeowners coverages available, such as cyber coverage if you’re a victim of an online attack||Among the lowest car insurance claims satisfaction ratings|
|Few options to customize policies|