Mercury Insurance reviews and ratings
- Has about the expected number of auto insurance complaints compared to other companies relative to its size and more than the expected amount of home insurance complaints.
- Offers rideshare insurance in select states.
- Auto insurance policies have few extras, which can keep prices low.
Mercury Insurance has a large auto insurance customer base in California, but it also operates in 10 other states and offers additional products such as home, renters and commercial auto insurance. Its policies are sold through a network of independent agents.
Mercury auto insurance
Mercury auto insurance earned 3.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Mercury is a meat-and-potatoes auto insurer with basic coverage options, including optional rental car coverage and roadside assistance. In addition, any repairs made at a repair facility approved by Mercury are guaranteed for the lifetime of your vehicle.
Rideshare insurance is also available in all states where Mercury offers auto insurance except for New York and New Jersey. Traditional auto insurance policies don’t cover you while you drive for companies like Uber or Lyft, and those companies’ insurance only covers drivers with passengers or en route to pick them up. But while you’re waiting for a fare, neither policy covers you and that’s where rideshare coverage fills the gap. You must have a Mercury auto insurance policy to add this option.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Mercury auto insurance discounts:
- Autopay discount.
- Discount for drivers who install an anti-theft device in their vehicle.
- Good student discount.
- Multiple policy (bundling) discount.
- Multi-car discount.
- Pay-in-full discount.
- Discount for using electronic signatures.
- Good driver discount.
- Discount based on how far you drive.
- MercuryGo discount based on your driving behavior (only available in Texas).
Mercury homeowners insurance
Mercury’s options for home insurance include all the standard types of coverage, plus a few additional features, including:
- Identity theft protection and management: Pays for prevention and costs related to fixing identity theft, up to $25,000.
- Coverage for large appliance and equipment repairs, including air conditioning systems, kitchen and laundry appliances, water heaters, electrical panels and more.
- Service pipe coverage pays for repairs or replacement of service lines such as sewer, water and gas lines if damaged, up to $10,000 per claim. Without this coverage, you would be on the hook for these repairs, even though they connect to city-owned or utility-owned lines.
- Extended replacement cost: Pays up to 150% of your dwelling limit to rebuild your home.
- Additional coverage for valuables, such as jewelry or fine art, is available.
- Cyber coverage pays out if you’re the victim of an online attack such as online fraud or extortion, up to $50,000 with a $500 deductible.
- Difference in conditions endorsement: Offered to policyholders with a California Fair Plan policy, this covers the gaps in the FAIR Plan policy such as theft and water damage from broken pipes.
Mercury homeowner insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount.
- Protective devices discount.
- Fire-resistant construction materials discount.
- Discount for owning a newer home.
- Gated community discount.
- Discount for taking steps to prevent wildfires or for living in a community recognized by the National Fire Protection Association as a Firewise USA site (California only).
Mercury complaints and customer satisfaction
Mercury had close to the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. It had more than the expected number of complaints for home insurance.
Mercury ranked below average for auto insurance shopping and auto insurance claims in J.D. Power’s 2020 customer satisfaction studies.
|2020 J.D. Power Study||Mercury ranks...|
|Auto insurance shopping||Below average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Below average|
More about Mercury
Website: Mercury’s website lets you make a payment, download your ID card and view your policy information without having to call an agent. It also provides resources like defensive driving tips and articles to help you better understand your auto insurance.
Mobile app: MercuryGo is a usage-based app that monitors your driving habits. You earn a discount for enrolling and may receive an additional discount at renewal based on your driving behavior. MercuryGo is available only for Texas drivers.
|Other types of insurance from Mercury|
|Condo insurance||Business insurance|
|Renters insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Mechanical breakdown insurance||Landlord insurance|
Recap: Mercury pros and cons
|Rideshare insurance available||More than the expected number of complaints for home insurance|
|Additional homeowners coverages available, such as cyber coverage if you’re a victim of an online attack||Few options to customize auto policies|