Mercury reviews and ratings
- Mercury’s customer satisfaction ratings are mixed
- Has fewer auto insurance complaints than other companies of similar size, but more home insurance complaints
- Ranks 15th in NerdWallet’s best car insurance companies
Mercury Insurance is the fourth-largest private-passenger auto insurer in California, after State Farm, Farmers and Allstate. It offers auto insurance in 10 other states as well, plus additional products such as home, renters and commercial auto insurance. Its policies are sold through a network of independent agents.
Auto insurance rating
Mercury Insurance scored 4 out of 5 stars in NerdWallet’s rankings of the best car insurance companies. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
A.M. Best financial strength rating: A+ (superior)
Mercury’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Consumer complaints: fewer than the median
Mercury had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
However, it had more than the median number of complaints for home insurance.
J.D. Power ratings: Average or better
- Mercury ranked “better than most” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked among “the rest” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Home Insurance Study
MERCURY AUTO INSURANCE
Mercury is a meat-and-potatoes auto insurer, with coverage options that start and end with the basics.
Here’s where Mercury is available:
Mercury home insurance
Mercury’s options for home insurance include all the standard options, plus a few add-on features, including:
- Identity theft protection: pays for costs related to fixing criminal identity theft
- Extended replacement cost: pays up to 150% of your dwelling limit to rebuild your home
More about Mercury
Mobile app: You can pay bills, view documents, download car insurance ID cards and summon roadside assistance with Mercury’s customer app.
Other types of insurance: In addition to auto and home, Mercury offers the following insurance, though not every type is available in all states where Mercury operates:
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Mechanical breakdown protection for repairing mechanical and electrical issues with your vehicle (doesn’t pay to repair wear and tear).
- Commercial auto insurance
- Business insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.
Updated March 21, 2017.