- Offers term, universal and indexed universal life insurance.
- You can’t get a policy if you’ve ever abused drugs or alcohol.
Accordia Life, based in Des Moines, Iowa, is a subsidiary of Bermuda-based financial services company Global Atlantic Financial Group Limited.
A.M. Best financial strength rating: A- (excellent)
Accordia’s financial strength is “excellent,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best.
Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims. It’s especially important when choosing a life insurance company because claims might not be made until many decades after a policy is purchased.
Consumer complaints: Better than the median
Accordia drew fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2015 for a company of its size, according to the latest data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The association assigns a complaint ratio score to insurance companies, based on the number of complaints to state insurance commissioners, adjusted for market share. The median score is 1. A score less than 1 means fewer complaints. Accordia’s score for individual life insurance in 2015 was .31.
Accordia Life Insurance coverage options
|Types of life insurance sold||Good to know|
Accordia Life Insurance discounts
Every life insurance company has its own specific rules about when applications will be denied or priced higher. Here’s a closer look at some of Accordia Life’s term life insurance guidelines: Every life insurance company has its own specific rules about when applications will be denied or priced higher. Here’s a closer look at some of Accordia Life’s term life insurance guidelines:
- Blood pressure: For applicants ages 18 to 60, blood pressure of 135/85 with no treatment will qualify for the best rates, called “Premier.” For ages 61 and up, 145/90 or better with no treatment will qualify.
- DWI (driving while intoxicated): Applicants can have no DWIs or reckless driving convictions in the past five years.
- Nicotine: For the best rates, there must be no nicotine use for the past five years.
- Substance abuse: There must be no history of alcohol or drug abuse at all for any applicants.