- Safeco’s customer satisfaction ratings are average for auto and home insurance claims.
- Received fewer than the expected number of customer complaints, relative to its size, for auto insurance.
- Offers ridesharing insurance in multiple states.
Safeco Insurance sells personal auto, homeowners and specialty insurance products. Safeco’s parent company, Liberty Mutual, is an insurance giant — the sixth-largest auto insurance seller.
Safeco auto insurance
Safeco auto insurance earned 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Safeco policies include these unusual features that set it apart from most insurers:
- First aid reimbursement up to $10,000 for first aid administered after an accident.
- Accident forgiveness: After a certain number of years with no accidents or violations, Safeco won’t raise your rates after your first accident.
- Diminishing deductible: If you don’t make a car insurance claim, Safeco will reduce your collision deductible each year by $100, up to $500 or five years.
In addition, you can choose from several coverage options if they’re available in your state, including:
- Rideshare coverage: If you drive for a company like Uber or Lyft, your personal policy is suspended while you use the app. Meanwhile, the ridesharing company’s insurance is limited between rides. Safeco can cover the gap for less than $10 per month for most drivers in states where this coverage is available.
- New car replacement: If your car is totaled or stolen and is less than one year old, Safeco will pay to replace it with a comparable new car.
- Personal property coverage pays out if your belongings are damaged in an accident or stolen from your car. Typically, this is covered by renters or homeowners insurance if you have it.
- Emergency assistance package includes roadside assistance and personal property protection, plus up to $100 for expenses and up to $500 for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re in an accident more than 25 miles from home.
- Gap coverage: If your car is totaled or stolen, Safeco pays the difference between how much is left on your loan or lease and the value of your car.
- Electronic key and lock replacement pays to replace lost or stolen electronic keys, remote control pads and locks, with no deductible.
- CD and DVD replacement pays out when your audio-visual media such as DVDs, CDs and videotapes are damaged or stolen.
- Custom equipment coverage will protect equipment that was not installed at the factory or dealership, including permanently installed audiovisual equipment, a modified or custom engine, roll bars, custom wheels, murals and decals.
- Pet coverage pays for veterinary expenses or a death benefit if your cat or dog is injured or dies in a collision.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Safeco’s auto insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount.
- Safe driver discount.
- Accident prevention course discount.
- Discount for using Teen Safety Rewards, a collection of tools created to help your teen drive safely.
- Multi-car discount.
- Discount for driving few annual miles.
- Discount for adding an anti-theft device to your vehicle.
- Anti-lock brakes discount.
- Discount for owning your own home.
The RightTrack program: In some states, you can get a discount for allowing Safeco to monitor your driving for a 90-day period through either an app or a plug-in device. The program tracks behaviors such as hard braking, nighttime driving and total miles driven. A discount is guaranteed just for completing the program, and safe drivers can save up to 30%.
Safeco homeowners insurance
Safeco offers standard homeowners insurance coverage, and customers can choose to buy additional options such as:
- Identity recovery: For $1 a month, if you’re the victim of identity theft, this will reimburse you for expenses related to restoring your identity, such as lost wages for time spent handling the problem, up to $25,000.
- Valuable articles coverage: Insures jewelry, fine art, antiques, collectibles and valuable items that you specify, up to an agreed dollar amount. There’s no deductible.
- Equipment breakdown coverage: For $2 a month, this coverage replaces an appliance with an Energy Star-rated appliance of “like kind and quality” if it suffers an unexpected mechanical or electrical breakdown that’s not caused by normal use.
- Personal property replacement cost: Helps to pay for new items to replace your belongings that were damaged, lost or stolen, regardless of their age or condition.
- Single loss deductible: When you insure your home and car with Safeco, you can pay only one deductible if both are damaged in the same event, such as a tree falling on your garage.
Safeco’s home insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount if you combine your home and auto policies; additional discounts are available if you also have other policies.
- Discount if your house is less than 10 years old.
- Discount for paying your bill in full rather than in monthly installments.
Safeco complaints and customer satisfaction
Safeco had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto and home insurance relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Safeco ranked below average across the board for home and auto insurance according to J.D. Power’s 2020 customer satisfaction studies.
|2020 J.D. Power Study||Safeco ranks...|
|Auto insurance shopping||Below average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Below average|
|Home insurance||Below average|
|Property insurance claims||Below average|
More about Safeco
Website: Safeco’s site is easy to navigate and lets you track a claim, get a quote, pay your bill and view or download policy documents. If you prefer the personal touch of an agent, you can find one via the Safeco website.
Mobile app: Safeco’s app lets you log in and manage your policy, pay bills, check the status of a claim and more.
Alexa: Use Alexa’s “insurance advisor” skill from Safeco to test your risk knowledge, find an insurance agent and learn more about insurance coverage.
|Other insurance products available from Safeco|
|Motorcycle insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Renters insurance||Landlord protection insurance|
|Condo insurance||RV insurance|
|Boat and watercraft insurance||Classic car insurance|
|ATV insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
|Golf cart insurance|
Recap: Safeco pros and cons
|Fewer than the expected number of customer complaints for auto and home insurance||Customer satisfaction ratings are below average for auto insurance shopping|
|Offers accident forgiveness and generous first aid reimbursement|
|Many options to customize auto policies’ coverage|