State Farm insurance reviews and ratings
- Places 9th out of 24 insurers for auto insurance in NerdWallet's rankings.
- Had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2018 relative to its size for auto, home and life insurance.
- Offers rideshare insurance in most states.
State Farm is the nation’s largest auto insurer, but it offers a wide variety of other insurance and financial products, sold exclusively by State Farm agents. If you’re looking for a well-known brand name with a generous selection of products and consumer-friendly pricing, State Farm might be right for you.
State Farm insurance review details
Auto insurance rating
State Farm ranked 9th out of 24 insurers in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for customer service, claims satisfaction and shopping satisfaction.
- Consumer Reports customer satisfaction ratings.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
State Farm auto insurance coverage options
State Farm’s rental car and travel expenses coverage is superior to its competition’s. Not only does State Farm auto insurance pay for a rental car if yours is in the shop due to a covered collision, but it also pays for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re stranded more than 50 miles from home. Coverage limits apply and vary by state.
Drive Safe & Save: This usage-based program calculates discounts based on your mileage and “safe driving” measurements such as smooth acceleration and braking. It also considers risk factors such as speed and time of day. You’ll get up to a 50% discount once State Farm has analyzed your driving behavior. Availability and discounts may vary.
The Steer Clear Driver Program is a driver training refresher course available online, through an agent or via mobile app. State Farm offers savings for drivers under 25 who complete the course and have had no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.
Rideshare insurance: If you drive for a company such as Uber or Lyft, this option allows you to have one policy that covers both personal and ridesharing use. This option is available in 46 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
State Farm homeowners insurance coverage options
State Farm’s homeowners insurance claims network is available 24 hours a day, online or by phone.
The Premier Service Program puts you in touch with qualified contractors who can remove water or make flooring repairs included in your policy. The service providers guarantee their work for up to five years. Premier Service is not available everywhere.
State Farm life insurance coverage options
Select Term Life Insurance: Policies are available for 10, 20 or 30 years, depending on your age, renewable up to age 95. Coverage amounts start at $100,000.
Instant Answer Term Life: $50,000 of life insurance is available for people ages 16 to 45, lasting until age 50 or 10 years after the policy is issued, whichever is later. State Farm doesn’t require a medical exam, but you’ll have to fill out a health questionnaire, and your answers may disqualify you.
Return of Premium Term Life is available for either 20- or 30-year terms with level premiums, though you can renew for longer at increased rates. Coverage starts at $100,000, and if you pay premiums faithfully and outlive your term, you’ll get your money back.
State Farm also offers whole life, universal life and variable universal life, which are varieties of permanent life insurance.
State Farm at a glance
Financial strength: A++ (“Superior”)
State Farm’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. An insurer’s financial strength indicates how well it can pay claims.
State Farm had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2018 relative to its size for life, home and auto insurance, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Though State Farm often shows competitive rates for auto insurance in our analysis, its customer satisfaction ratings for auto insurance are mediocre.
|2018 J.D. Power Study||State Farm ranks...|
|Insurance Shopping (Auto)||About average|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction||About average|
|Home Insurance||About average|
|Property Insurance Claims||Better than most|
|Life Insurance||Among the best, with top award|
More about State Farm
Website: State Farm’s website is intuitive, easy to navigate and loaded with useful information. You can get a quote and buy a policy online, find a nearby agent or manage a claim.
Pocket Agent mobile app: State Farm’s customer app lets you view your insurance card and policy information, get a quote, submit a claim online and view a claim status. It even has an ATM locator.
State Farm also has mobile apps for two of its auto insurance programs: The Steer Clear program for drivers under 25 and the Drive Safe & Save program that tracks driving behavior.
|Other types of insurance from State Farm include:|
|Condo insurance||Identity theft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat insurance|
|Farm and ranch insurance||Off-road vehicle insurance|
|Manufactured home insurance||Commercial auto insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||Business insurance|
NerdWallet’s star ratings are based on the following three factors, each weighted equally to produce a 300-point maximum total score:
- 2018 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for private passenger auto insurance. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2017 company satisfaction data from Consumer Reports’ most recent car insurance survey. Higher satisfactions ratings from Consumer Reports were given higher scores in our calculation.
- 2018 J.D. Power ratings from three studies encompassing regional customer service satisfaction, auto claims satisfaction and shopping satisfaction. Ratings from each of the separate 2018 studies were averaged to form one overall score from J.D. Power. The higher the average, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.