TD Ameritrade ranks highly among online brokers; in fact, one of its few drawbacks is that the firm’s commissions run a bit higher than the competition. That said, the company is transparent about investor costs, and offers access to premium products — including two extremely robust trade platforms, a wealth of tools and research, and educational resources — for no added fees.
Three things to know about TD Ameritrade’s fees:
- The online broker’s commissions are higher than those of competitors — nearly across the board. However, TD Ameritrade offers a large selection of transaction fee-free mutual funds and commission-free ETFs, curated by Morningstar.
- Services considered premium and accessible only for an extra fee or with a minimum account balance at other online brokers are free here. That includes TD Ameritrade’s Trade Architect and thinkorswim platforms, as well as third-party research, streaming news, mock trading and charting packages.
- There are no minimum trade requirements or inactivity fees, and the company’s account minimum is $0, a standout among online brokers which often require $1,000 or more.
Here’s a complete overview of the online broker’s commission and fee structure:
|ETF commission||$9.99||Over 100 commission-free ETFs|
|Commission-free ETF short-term trading fee||$19.99||30-day holding period|
|Mutual funds||No-load: $44.99Load: No commission||Over 2,000 no-transaction fee mutual funds|
|Mutual fund short-term redemption fee||$49.99||180 day holding period|
|Options||$9.99, plus $0.75 per contract|
|Options exercises and assignments||$19.99|
|Futures and options on futures||$2.25 per contract||Plus exchange and regulatory fees|
|Margin rates||Base rate is 7.75%, rates range from 6.25% to 9%|
|Broker-assisted trades||$44.99||Plus contract charges for options|
|Interactive voice response phone trades||$34.99||Plus contract charges for options|
|Paper statements||$2 on accounts valued below $10,000||Electronic statements are free.|
|Outbound full account transfer||$75|
|Outbound partial account transfer||$0|
More from NerdWallet:
- Best Online Brokers for Stock Trading
- Best Online Brokers for Beginners
- Best IRA Account Providers
- TD Ameritrade Review
You can trust that we maintain strict editorial integrity in our writing and assessments; however, we receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Here’s how we make money.