When you fly frequently and are loyal to one airline, you need a credit card that helps you earn miles for upgrades and free tickets. Here’s what you need to know about the perks of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
1. You’ll get a free checked bag on every flight
The first checked bag fee on Delta is $30. The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express can save a family of four up to $200 per round trip. Plus, you get priority boarding, whether or not you are traveling with small children. You have to pay for your flights with the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express to qualify. Terms Apply.
2. You can purchase part of a ticket
Delta established a program with American Express for cardholders to pay for part of their tickets with miles. Through the Pay With Miles program, you can get $50 off your flight for every 5,000 miles you redeem. Terms Apply. Always make sure you compare the cost of redemption with the cost of buying tickets. For instance, it may not be worth redeeming 15,000 miles for $150 off a ticket when you’re saving up for a first-class upgrade.
3. You can earn miles quickly for rewards redemption
When you’re a Delta frequent traveler, getting 2 miles for every $1 spent on Delta purchases adds up. And cardholders earn 1 mile for every eligible $1 spent on non-Delta purchases. Terms Apply.
4. You’ll get a big welcome bonus
Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Landing the best airfare Is a matter of timing
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards