If you’re in the market for a new Delta SkyMiles credit card, you might have heard about a welcome offer on the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card.
So is this card worth picking up? Let’s take a look at some of its notable perks and who might benefit from them.
The card’s issuer, American Express, phrases the welcome offer this way: “Earn 35,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply.”
The spending requirement is more reasonable when you break it down into the per month amount. This is especially true if you can charge all your household spending to the card, including monthly bills and insurance premiums.
With the holidays coming up, most people will have a few extra expenses. This is a good opportunity to channel all of that spending (groceries, gifts, charitable donations, etc.) to this card. If you plan on going out of town, putting prepaid travel expenses on this card is another way to help meet the minimum spending requirement.
It’s important to note that gift card and cash-equivalent purchases are excluded from earning points or meeting spending requirements to earn the welcome offer. The extent to which American Express is able to track these purchases is unknown, but it’s still something to be aware of.
» Learn more: Best airline credit cards
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card earns 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases made directly with Delta, at U.S. supermarkets and at restaurants. Delta purchases include flights and vacation packages booked through Delta.com, seat upgrades, in-flight purchases, and SkyClub membership or passes. All other purchases earn 1 mile per $1 spent. Terms apply.
These category bonuses are pretty standard for co-branded airline credit cards; nothing earth-shattering, but still nice to have.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card has a few useful travel perks, including:
- A free checked bag on Delta flights, which can save up to $60 on a round-trip flight.
- A discounted rate of $29 per person for you and up to two guests to visit the Delta Sky Club when you’re traveling on the same Delta flight. (Note that this will no longer be available as of Jan. 30, 2020).
- 20% off any in-flight purchases as a statement credit.
- A $100 Delta statement credit after $10,000 purchases per year.
» Learn more: Delta SkyMiles program: The complete guide
Is this a good offer?
If you’re looking for a big SkyMiles welcome offer, the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card may not be the right option for you. Both the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card sometimes feature bigger offers and an annual companion certificate. But those cards also carry higher annual fees, which may be tough to justify if you’re on a budget or not able to take advantage of all the benefits they offer.
In terms of value, the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card may be a better choice for budget travelers with the welcome offer and the category bonuses.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Find the best travel credit card for you
5 things the Delta SkyMiles program gets right
Blue Delta SkyMiles review: Ideal for loyal but infrequent flyers