United Airlines is limiting its United Club lounge access for both day-pass buyers and membership holders. Travelers now have to present a boarding pass from a same-day United or a United-associated flight to enter the lounge.
Here’s what you need to know about the change:
- The rules won’t take effect for a year: The change won’t occur until Nov. 1, 2019. But this may make a difference if you’re deciding to purchase an annual pass.
- How lounge access works now: You have to present a boarding pass from any airline from the same day of travel as well as your day pass or proof of membership.
- Who benefits and who doesn’t: The change is good for loyal United and United-associated flyers. Lounges can get overcrowded and this limits entry. But United flyers who also fly frequently on other airlines will lose some of their membership perks by only being able to use lounges on days they are flying with a United-affiliated flight.
- Prices for membership won’t change: Prices range from $450 to $550, or 60,000 to 70,000 redeemed MileagePlus miles, depending on how often you fly United. Those who have the United℠ Explorer Card get two free day passes annually.
- Amenities and lounge are being upgraded: United is continuing to remodel locations and food and drink menus. Those flying in United Polaris have their own dedicated lounges.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
United MileagePlus rewards program: The complete guide
When an airport lounge day pass is worth the splurge
5 reasons you should be using airport lounges