- Double Miles on every $1 you spend
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 6 months, then the variable purchase APR of 10.99% - 19.99%*
- No restrictions on travel--fly on any airline, book any hotel or car, with no blackout dates
- Flexible redemption options like travel credits, merchandise, gift cards or cash
- Travel Insurance benefits, including primary car rental, lost or damaged luggage, travel delay, and trip cancellation when you book with your Escape by Discover card
- Discover is ranked #1 in customer loyalty--16 years in a row! (2012 Brand Keys Customer Loyalty Engagement Index report)
- *Click apply to view rates, fees, rewards, limitations and other important information
Min APR: 11.24%, Variable
Max APR: 20.24%, Variable
Penalty APR: Up to 26.24%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 25.24%, Variable
- High rewards rate
- 0% for 6 mos on transfers
- No foreign transaction fee
- Has annual fee
- Needs excellent credit
Purchase: 0% for 6 mos
Transfer: 0% for 6 mos
Aw nerds! It looks like this page may be out of date. Check out ourRewards Credit Cards page for updated info.Escape by Discover® Card is one of few cards that has a 2% base rewards rate, which is why it ranks so well in terms of rewards.
You earn 2 miles per $1 spent, which we believe is effectively a rewards rate of 2%.
Despite the reward being called Discover Miles, you can effectively redeem it for 1% cash (5,000 miles for $25 in cash), or 2% when redeemed to offset a travel expense on your card (eg 10,000 miles to reduce a travel expense by $100).
When considering the Escape by Discover® Card versus miles from other point programs, keep in mind that often times other miles programs are not transferable - for example, you cannot add your 5,000 Capital One miles to your 20,000 American Airlines miles to get a ticket. This forces you to spend 25,000 on the card before you can collect a ticket.
Unusually good car rental insurance
A great feature of the Escape by Discover® Card, that almost no other credit card has (other than the Continental Airlines OnePass® Plus Card card), is primary auto rental insurance. When you wreck a rental car, your normal auto insurance is your "primary" coverage - or first line of defense - and the credit card insurance gives you "secondary" coverage after the fact, which may cover things such as deductibles. The problem with that is that you have to report damages to your auto insurance company, which may result in increased premiums and additional headaches.
Best Rewards Card? We still give the edge to Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
Escape by Discover® Card is quite possibly the best card out there, if you ignore the very similar but slightly more attractive Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card.
Why Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is better:
- Merchant Acceptance. Although Discover acceptance rates are on the rise - in the United States Discover is accepted at around 90% of the retailers that accept Visa/MasterCard, blowing the socks off of American Express.
- Foreign Transaction Fee. The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card, like most other Capital One cards, has a 0% foreign transaction fee (here's our list of no foreign transaction fee credit cards), which bests the 2% offered by Escape by Discover® Card. However, most other banks charge 3%, so Escape by Discover® Card really isn't too shabby.
- Annual Fee. The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card's annual fee is $0 intro for first year; $59 after that. On the other hand the Escape by Discover® Card's annual fee is $60, from day one.
- Signing Bonus is Upfront. The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card has a signup bonus: Enjoy a one-time bonus of 40,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, equal to $400 in travel.
- Concierge. You get one with a Visa Signature card, including Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card, but not with Escape by Discover® Card.
- BUT. Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card does not have primary car rental insurance coverage. Instead, you get only secondary coverage. This is where Escape by Discover® Card tops Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.