Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.
Apple Card customers who plan to treat a loved one — or themselves — to a shiny new Apple gadget for the holidays are in luck. Through Dec. 31, 2019, the card is offering 6% back on eligible purchases made at Apple stores, on Apple.com and through the Apple Store app.
For those keeping score, that’s double the cash-back rate the card typically earns for purchases made directly with Apple via Apple Pay. But Apple says the 6% rate isn't contingent on using the card through Apple Pay. You can also earn the promotional rate on purchases made with Apple by using the physical titanium Apple Card, which typically earns only 1% back on purchases.
Outside of any promotional periods, the Apple Card normally earns cash back at the following rates:
3% cash back
• Apple Pay purchases made directly with Apple (including Apple stores, within the App Store and for Apple services).
• Uber and Uber Eats purchases via Apple Pay.
• Walgreens and Duane Reade purchases via Apple Pay.
• In-store T-Mobile purchases via Apple Pay.
• Nike purchases via Apple Pay (in U.S. stores, on Nike.com and on Nike apps).
• Exxon and Mobil gas station purchases via Apple Pay. This includes fuel, car washes and convenience store purchases.
• Panera purchases via Apple Pay.
• Ace Hardware purchases via Apple Pay. This includes purchases in the Ace Hardware app, on AceHardware.com and at participating stores nationwide.
2% cash back
All other purchases made via Apple Pay.
1% cash back
All purchases made with the physical Apple Card.
Note that while devices such as iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs and Macs qualify for the 6% rate, you won't get that rate on things like purchases from Apple Media Services (say, iCloud subscriptions or movie rentals through the TV app) or on AppleCare+ monthly payments.
Apple iPhone payments or changes to your Apple iPhone Upgrade program are eligible, but only through Dec. 31, 2019.
Also this week, the Apple Card rolled out an iPhone financing program, offering interest-free payments for 24 months when you use the card to buy your phone via apple.com, in the Apple Store app or at an Apple Store. Under the terms of the program, installment payment is automatically added to the minimum payment due on your card.