Car Insurance for Drivers With an International Driving Permit

You can get car insurance from a rental car company if you're visiting the US, or some insurers if you're staying.
Lacie Glover
By Lacie Glover 

Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This influences which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.

If you’ve come to the United States and intend to drive, you’ll need two things in addition to a car: a permit or license, and car insurance.

Car with shield on road

See what you could save on car insurance

Easily compare personalized rates to see how much switching car insurance could save you.
on NerdWallet

An international driving permit translates your driver’s license information into 10 languages, besides English. It serves as proof that your home country allows you to drive abroad. An IDP is not a valid U.S. driver’s license, and some states require that you also carry your valid home country license.

You can get car insurance in the United States in two ways if you have an IDP:

  • From a rental car company if you’re visiting on business or vacation, have no plans to become a permanent resident and are renting a car.

  • From a car insurance company if you plan on staying a long time — for example, if you are a student or wish to become a permanent resident — and will buy a car.

Car insurance for long-term foreign residents

It may be difficult to find car insurance with an international driving permit; some insurers will only sell you an insurance policy if you have a U.S. driver’s license. This is because car insurance companies rely on U.S. records to determine how risky it is to insure you. Those records include:

  • Driving history, including accidents and moving violations such as speeding tickets

  • Credit history in all states except California, Hawaii, and Massachusetts, where such information can’t legally be used

Car insurers also set prices based on these records, so nonresidents’ rates may be higher to account for the lack of information.

An independent agent can help

An independent car insurance agent who works with several companies can help you find insurance. The agent might find more than one company willing to insure you and can help you select the best option.

Staying awhile? Get your U.S. driver’s license soon

Some car insurance companies will only offer a policy if you are getting a U.S. license within a short time. As soon as you can, get a driver’s license from the department of motor vehicles in the U.S. state where you live.

Find out more about your state’s requirements for international drivers by going to’s DMV directory and selecting your state.

Once you’ve established a U.S. driving history, ask your agent to get quotes again or shop for coverage yourself online.

Get more smart money moves – straight to your inbox
Sign up and we’ll send you Nerdy articles about the money topics that matter most to you along with other ways to help you get more from your money.