CornerStone Student Loan Customer Service: What It Can Do and How to Contact

CornerStone is one of nine federal student loan servicers that manage loans.

Anna HelhoskiApr 16, 2021
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.

Find the latest on

CornerStone is one of nine companies that service federal student loans by collecting and tracking payments. It's overseen by the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority, or UHEAA, a state government agency. It recently announced it would no longer be servicing federal student loans and all loans in its portfolio will be transferred to other servicers.

If CornerStone is your student loan servicer, here’s what it can help you do.

  • Register for online access to your account. Once you have access you can contact CornerStone, access your monthly billing statements and pay bills.

  • Enroll in autopay. CornerStone can deduct your payments automatically from your bank account. Signing up for autopay can reduce your interest by 0.25%.

  • Sign up for income-driven repayment. You can request income-driven repayment, which limits your student loan payments to a percentage of your income, by completing a paper form with CornerStone. (You can apply online on and then recertify your income each year online as well.)

  • Process deferment and forbearance requests. CornerStone can help you temporarily stop making payments or reduce your payment amount if you qualify. This helps you stay in good standing to avoid default. But during any periods of deferment or forbearance, interest will continue to build.

  • Process monthly payments and extra payments. CornerStone will track and collect your payments. If you want to make additional payments, you can instruct CornerStone (online, by phone or by mail) to apply extra payments to your current balance. Otherwise, it may apply the additional amount to next month’s payment instead.

Your loan servicer is assigned by the U.S. Department of Education when your loan is disbursed to your college for the first time. The name of the company sending you a federal loan bill every month is your servicer. If your loan payments haven’t begun or you’re not sure which company is your servicer, log in to My Federal Student Aid to find out. You can also get in touch with any of the loan servicer contact centers by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID.

Servicers are there to help you, but they may offer choices that are best for the company, not the borrower. That means they can’t change how payments are processed and may not suggest the most beneficial repayment option for you. It’s most important to know your repayment options so you can know the right questions to ask.

Am I stuck with CornerStone until my loans are paid off?

Loans are sometimes transferred from one servicer to another by the Department of Education.

You’ll be notified if this happens, and you’ll manage payments with the new servicer. All servicers deliver the same options and programs, but customer service may differ from one to another.

Otherwise, you are likely to remain with CornerStone unless you act to switch servicers. Use this tool to find out what might work for you.

How to reach CornerStone customer service

CornerStone phone number: 1-800-663-1662

CornerStone hours of operation: Monday - Thursday, 6 a.m. - 7 p.m. MT and Friday, 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. MT

CornerStone address for loan payments: 

U.S. Department of Education CornerStone P.O. Box 979133 St. Louis, MO 63197-9000

CornerStone address for general correspondence: 

CornerStone Education Loan Services P.O. Box 145122 Salt Lake City, UT 84114-5122

CornerStone website: & Web Chat

CornerStone email: [email protected]

CornerStone social channels: CornerStone Facebook and CornerStone Twitter

How to complain about CornerStone

If you’re having difficulty with CornerStone that you have been unable to resolve, start by filing a complaint directly with the Manager of Claims Review. It’s the servicer’s highest customer service office. Call (801) 321-7225 or email Michelle Hansen at [email protected].

If your issue goes unresolved, you can also make complaints about CornerStone to:

Make sure to keep records of conversations you have, including the day, time and customer service representative you spoke with. Keep copies of any letters, bills or emails about your account.

How to settle a dispute with CornerStone

If a complaint doesn’t help, you can contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group. This method should be used only as a last resort, says the federal student aid office. Complete all information on the Ombudsman Information Checklist before contacting. When you’re ready to do so, here's how:

Phone: 877-557-2575

By mail: U.S. Department of Education FSA Ombudsman Group P.O. Box 1843 Monticello, KY 42633

You can also reach out to a student loans nonprofit such as The Institute of Student Loan Advisors, which provides free dispute resolution.

The nine federal student loan servicers

Learn more about each of the federal loan servicers, including what they can do and how to contact.

Spot your saving opportunities

See your spending breakdown to show your top spending trends and where you can cut back.