Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.
Let’s say you’re booking a last-minute flight on Delta and you have the option of either:
Paying $450 cash.
Paying 30,000 Delta miles + $40 in fees.
Which is the better deal? Should you book that flight with cash or miles?
To help answer this common conundrum, we created a point value calculator that pairs our airline mile valuations with your own booking options.
Enter the airline award program, cash fare, equivalent award fare and any fees associated with your award fare, and our points and miles to dollars calculator will explain the rest.
Keep in mind that our valuations, while based on real-world data, are only estimates for how much award miles are worth. If the cash and award values are similar, use your best judgment for which option is better for you.
Mile-redeeming whizzes might opt to save miles for better redemptions, but in general we encourage spending miles rather than saving them.
How to maximize your rewards
You want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2022, including those best for:
Flexibility, point transfers and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Bonus travel rewards and high-end perks: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Business travelers: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
IHG® Rewards Program
- Cheers to new tiers: New tiers allow members to earn points faster.
- Piling on the perks: New members benefits that enhance every stay
- Milestone Rewards: Allows members to choose their rewards.
World of Hyatt
- Earn points for things you already enjoy with Hyatt
- Use your points for free nights at more than 1,100 hotels around the world
- Three elite tiers to unlock exceptional benefits - room upgrades and more.
Alaska Mileage Plan
- Join Mileage Plan and Save $25 on your next flight
- Our members earn 30% more miles on average than other airlines
- You earn based on how far you fly, not how much you spend