Ultra-premium travel rewards cards offer every perk imaginable to soften the blow of their sky-high annual fees. But sometimes you just want a reliable card that provides excellent benefits without the huge price tag.Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is as faithful a travel companion as your well-worn suitcase. In exchange for a $95 annual fee, it offers valuable rewards points, worldwide acceptance and travel protections that can help when that suitcase doesn’t make it to the baggage claim.
Here are the benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
1. A generous sign-up bonus
The issuer phrases the sign-up bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card like this: “Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.”
2. Bonus earnings on travel and dining
Earn 2 points per dollar spent on dining out and travel expenses. The travel category is especially broad, including airline purchases, hotel stays, timeshares, rental cars, cruises, travel agencies and travel sites, campgrounds, trains, buses, taxis, limos, ferries, tolls and parking. All other spending earns 1 point per dollar.
3. A 25% boost when redeeming for travel via chase
The perk that makes the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card such a favorite among travelers is the higher point redemption value when you cash in points for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal. Instead of the usual penny-per-point rate, you’ll get a value of 1.25 cents each for your points, which can really add up. That’s an extra $25 for every $100 worth of points you redeem.
4. Combine points from multiple cards
You can transfer points, for free, among any cards that earn Chase Ultimate Rewards® points, including the Chase Freedom®, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® and the Chase Sapphire Reserve®. You can also transfer points to and from another cardholder in your household, making it possible to create a family pool of points. Not only do you boost your points-earning potential by using multiple cards in the Chase Ultimate Rewards® universe, but transferring points into your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card account allows you to redeem all points at that higher 1.25-cent rate, instead of the 1-cent rate you’d get with other Chase cards.
5. Transfer points to airline and hotel partners
If you want to book travel directly through an airline or hotel but need just a few thousand points more in your account to get that free flight or stay, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards® points earned through your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card to 12 airline and hotel partners at a 1:1 point value. Transfer partners include:
- Airlines: Aer Lingus, Air France/KLM, British Airways, Emirates, Iberia, JetBlue, Singapore Airlines, Southwest, United and Virgin Atlantic.
- Hotels: Hyatt, IHG and Marriott Bonvoy.
6. Worldwide acceptance
As a Visa card with no foreign transaction fee, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card travels well.
Travel and shopping protections
7. Coverage if your trip is canceled or delayed
Get reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for prepaid, nonrefundable travel expenses if your trip is interrupted by sickness, severe weather or other covered situations. If your travel is delayed by more than 12 hours, or the delay requires you to stay overnight, you’re covered up to $500 per ticket for expenses like meals and a hotel stay.
8. Baggage delay insurance
If your luggage is delayed more than six hours, you can get reimbursed up to $100 a day for five days to cover the cost of new toiletries and clothing.
9. Rental car coverage
Charge the entire car rental to your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and get primary insurance coverage for collision and theft in the U.S. and abroad. You must decline the rental company’s insurance to get this coverage.
10. Travel assistance
Get access to legal and medical referrals, or other help as needed if you’re facing an emergency while traveling. The referrals are free, but you’re on the hook for the cost of any services you use.
11. Purchase protections
New purchases are covered for up to 120 days in case of damage or theft, up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account (perfect for those times when your doorbell camera doesn’t scare package thieves away from your front porch). You’ll also get an extra year added onto the manufacturer’s warranty on eligible warranties of three years or less.
12. Customer service without the wait
There’s no annoying hold music and no need to yell “representative” at your phone over and over. Call the toll-free number on the back of your card and you’ll be connected to a real live human.
• Benefits of the Alaska Airlines credit card
• Benefits of the American Express Gold Card
• Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
• Benefits of the Bank of America Travel Rewards card
• Benefits of the Capital One Savor cards
• Benefits of the Capital One Venture card
• Benefits of the Capital One Quicksilver card
• Benefits of the Capital One Platinum card
• Benefits of the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve card
• Benefits of the Citi Costco credit card
• Benefits of Citi Double Cash Card
• Benefits of Delta Air Lines credit cards
• Benefits of the Discover it Cash Back and Balance Transfer cards
• Benefits of Marriott Bonvoy credit cards
• Benefits of Southwest Airlines credit cards
• Benefits of United Airlines credit cards