For the second quarter of 2020, the Chase Freedom® is combining an old favorite with something new.
From April 1 through June 30, 2020, the card will earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined spending on these categories (activation required):
- Grocery stores.
- Gym memberships and fitness clubs.
All other purchases will earn 1% back. As noted, you must activate the bonus categories, which you can do online or by phone starting March 15, 2020. As long as you activate by the deadline in the third month of the quarter, your 5% cash back rewards will be applied to your account retroactively.
|Chase Freedom® bonus rewards categories for 2020|
|Q1 (Jan. 1 - March 31)||• Gas stations.
• Select streaming services.
• Internet, cable and phone services.
|Q2 (April 1 - June 30)||• Grocery stores
• Gym memberships and fitness clubs
|Q3 (July 1 – Sept. 30)||TBD
(In 2019: Gas stations and select streaming services.)
|Q4 (Oct. 1 – Dec. 31)||TBD
(In 2019: Department stores, PayPal and Chase Pay.)
The grocery store category is a popular and long-standing one for this card, having been featured in a quarter on the calendar every year since at least 2014, and specifically in the second quarter since 2016.
The gym membership and fitness club category is making its first appearance on the Chase Freedom® bonus calendar. According to Chase, it includes things like:
- Health and fitness clubs and studios.
- Exercise or athletic facilities that require membership, including yoga (some boutique fitness studios are included, but not all).
This 5% bonus category does not include:
- Massage therapy.
- Dietary and weight management counseling.
- Personal training.
- Retailers selling merchandise including fitness apparel, sporting goods, or health foods and supplements.
- Hotels offering access to third-party fitness centers, unless the merchant categorizes the purchase as a qualifying category.
New Chase Freedom® cardholders can earn a sign-up bonus, which Chase phrases this way: “Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.”