If you’ve ever walked into a Gap store and left with a heavy bag and a lighter wallet, you’ve likely heard the cashier’s offer to save money on your purchase by signing up for the Gap Visa® Credit Card.
Here are five things to know about the card.
1. You’ll earn elevated rewards at Gap and sister brands
Yes, the Gap Visa® Credit Card rewards you for shopping specifically at Gap. But you’ll also earn elevated rewards using the card at other retailers under the Gap umbrella, which includes Gap Factory, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta:
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at Gap and qualifying brands, both in store and online.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent everywhere else Visa is accepted.
For every 500 points you earn, you’ll get a $5 reward.
2. Those rewards can be used only within the brand
If your goal is primarily to earn discounts on future Gap-brand purchases, this card can deliver. For every $100 you spend on the card at a qualifying store, you’ll earn enough for a $5 discount the next time you shop there.
But if it’s more flexible rewards you’re after — such as cash back or statement credits that you can put toward any kind of purchase — a general-purpose rewards card is a better choice.
3. You’ll get big discounts
The card’s ongoing rewards are nice, but its discounts may be even more valuable. For starters, you can save 20% and snag free shipping on your first purchase at Gap or Gap Factory stores with the card, as long as you make the purchase within 30 days of opening your account.
The card also offers an extra 10% off every time you shop at Gap and Gap Factory stores.
Stacked with the card’s existing rewards, that could add up to some serious savings on clothing.
4. Big spenders can earn ‘Silver’ status
Earn 5,000 reward points within a calendar year and get upgraded to a Gap Silver account. This status comes with a host of money-saving perks including:
- A quarterly points bonus of 20% of your rewards earned that quarter.
- One choose-your-own-sale day.
- Free three- to-five-day business day shipping.
- Free basic alterations on apparel purchased at Banana Republic in store or online.
5. Steer clear if you plan to carry a balance
The ongoing APR is 28.24% Variable. So even if you save a pile of money using the deals and discounts offered by the Gap Visa® Credit Card, make sure you are able to pay your balance in full every month. Otherwise, the outsize interest rate is sure to negate your initial discounts.
If you have a lot of clothing shopping to do, you might be better off with a general credit card that comes with a 0% intro APR offer on purchases.