Connect (formerly Ameriprise) reviews and ratings
- Only provider of Costco insurance.
- Had more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto and home insurance.
- Available in 44 states and Washington, D.C.
You might not immediately recognize the Connect brand, but if you’ve ever considered buying Costco insurance or getting a policy through Ameriprise Financial, you’ve likely encountered its products. Formerly known as Ameriprise Auto and Home Insurance, the Wisconsin-based company was acquired by American Family Insurance in 2019 and renamed Connect in 2020.
Connect sells auto, homeowners, renters, condo and umbrella policies directly to customers, primarily through its partnerships with Costco Wholesale and Ameriprise Financial. The company offers insurance in 44 states and Washington, D.C.
Connect (formerly Ameriprise) auto insurance
Connect auto insurance earned 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Costco members in most states can receive a discount on Connect auto or home insurance policies. If you’re an executive Costco member, you may also qualify for the following benefits:
- Roadside assistance, which covers up to $75 of your expenses if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or have a dead battery.
- Lifetime renewability, which guarantees Ameriprise won’t cancel your car insurance policy, even if you have multiple accidents. (Some exceptions apply, and this benefit isn’t available in all states.)
Customers who purchase Connect auto insurance through Ameriprise Financial also get a discount and (in most states) can take advantage of the lifetime renewability benefit.
In addition to the usual car insurance coverages, Connect sells:
- Gap insurance, which pays the difference between the actual cash value of your car and the amount you owe on your car loan if your vehicle is totaled. Connect offers gap coverage for the first three years you own your vehicle, capped at 120% of the car’s value.
- New car replacement insurance, which covers the cost of a brand-new car in the same make and model if yours is totaled in a covered loss. Connect provides coverage for the first year or the first 15,000 miles after you buy a new car.
Connect’s auto insurance discounts:
- Safe driver discount.
- Discount for completing an approved defensive driving course.
- Discount for having vehicle safety features such as anti-lock brakes, air bags, automatic seat belts or anti-theft devices.
- Multiple car discount.
- Multiple policy discount.
- Discount if you park your car overnight in a garage (in certain areas).
- Good student discount.
- Discount if your student is away at school more than 100 miles from your home.
- Discount for having at least four years of education beyond high school.
- Loyalty discount.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Connect (formerly Ameriprise) homeowners insurance
Connect homeowners insurance policies include coverage for:
- Identity theft. This pays as much as $5,000 to help you recover if your identity is stolen.
- Credit card or check fraud. This covers losses due to your credit card being stolen or hacked, as well as check fraud, with no deductible.
- Food spoilage. If your food spoils due to a power outage, Connect will replace up to $500 worth of groceries with no deductible.
- Lock replacement, which pays up to $100 to change your locks if someone has broken into your home.
Costco executive members receive additional benefits, including:
- Glass repair reimbursement, which will pay up to $1,000, twice a year, to fix broken windows.
- Home lockout assistance, which covers up to $100 for locksmith services, twice a year, if you’re locked out of your home.
Connect offers several types of optional coverage that can be added to its home policies, including a few that other insurers don’t often mention.
- Earthquake: Covers damage to your home and belongings from an earthquake.
- Mine subsidence: Pays for damage to a building located over a mine. This includes settling, foundation cracks or the collapse of your house.
- Home media equipment: Offers extra coverage for items like TVs, Blu-ray players, cameras and cell phones. This coverage is sold in $2,500, $5,000 and $10,000 increments.
- Adventure equipment: Covers items such as golf clubs, skis and bikes without appraisals or a deductible.
- Backup and overflow: Pays if there is damage from a sump pump failure or sewer backup.
- Personal injury: Covers claims against you for issues such as slander, libel and wrongful eviction.
In addition to specific discounts for Ameriprise clients and Costco members, Connect’s home insurance discounts also include:
- Discount for insuring a relatively new home.
- Discount for having filed no claims in the past five years.
- Discount for adding protective devices like smoke alarms, deadbolt locks, security alarms, a sprinkler system and fire extinguishers.
- Loyalty discount.
- Multiple policy discount.
- Discount for renovations including roof replacement, heating and cooling renovation and electrical or plumbing updates.
Complaints against Connect (formerly Ameriprise)
Connect had more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto and home insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Connect (formerly Ameriprise)
Website: Connect lets you report a claim, access your policy or get a quote online. You can pay your insurance bill all at once or in monthly installments.
|Other types of insurance from Connect and third parties include:|
|Condo insurance||Renters insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||All-terrain vehicle insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||Boat insurance|
|Recreational vehicle insurance||Classic car insurance|
|Flood insurance||Rental property insurance|
Recap: Connect pros and cons
|Offers a wide variety of discounts||Not available in all states|
|Homeowners policies cover things like identity fraud and lock replacement after a burglary||More than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto and home insurance|
|Guaranteed lifetime renewability for auto policies purchased through Costco as an executive member||Some auto insurance policy perks require Costco membership fee|