- Has fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for life and auto insurance.
- Has lots of policy and coverage options.
- Available in 26 states throughout the country.
Auto-Owners Insurance Company serves a lot more than just owners of automobiles. The company offers over a dozen types of insurance through independent agents in 26 states. People who need several insurance policies may benefit from the convenience and discounts of bundling them with Auto-Owners, which has many coverage options.
Auto-Owners auto insurance
Auto-Owners auto insurance earned 4.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings, Auto-Owners is among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies for 2021.
Auto-Owners offers all the usual coverages, including liability, other state-required coverage types, roadside assistance and comprehensive and collision. The company also offers several add-on coverages and options:
- Gap coverage can come in handy if you have a loan or lease balance and your car is totaled or stolen. Comprehensive and collision coverages pay out only up to the value of your car, which might be less than you owe on a loan or lease. Gap insurance pays the difference if you buy it.
- Diminished value coverage is similar to gap insurance, but for less extreme situations. If your car is damaged (rather than stolen or totaled), this add-on will compensate you for the reduced value of your car.
- Additional expenses insurance goes further than traditional rental car coverage. In addition to paying for a rental car if your car is in the shop for a covered claim, this optional coverage also pays for food, lodging and other incidentals if you’re stranded.
- The Personal Automobile Plus package has more than 10 perks and coverages, including identity theft coverage, cell phone insurance and coverage for replacing lost or stolen keys.
Auto-Owners also includes a few benefits in its auto policies that other major insurers don’t.
Common loss deductible. If you have your home insurance through Auto-Owners in addition to an auto policy with comprehensive coverage. If you need to make a claim to both policies for the same event — such as a bad storm or a tree falling on both your house and car — the company will reduce your auto deductible by the amount of your property deductible. If your homeowners deductible is higher, the company will waive your auto deductible.
Collision coverage advantage from Auto-Owners has two parts. First, if you’re in a collision with another customer of the company, your collision deductibles will be waived. Second, if you’re in a collision with an animal, Auto-Owners will either pay from your collision or comprehensive coverage — whichever pays you more. With most insurers, animal collisions strictly fall under comprehensive coverage.
Rental car insurance. When you rent a car, your Auto-Owners policy covers as much as it does for your personal car, as well as any fees from the rental company associated with an accident. Many auto policies have lower coverage limits when you rent a car and don’t pay those fees.
Discounts from Auto-Owners include:
- Multipolicy discount.
- Life insurance multipolicy premium discount.
- Discount for a 36-month history of on-time payments.
- Discount for paying your premium in full, upfront.
- Paperless and online payments discount.
- Multicar discount.
- Discount for safety features like anti-lock brakes and air bags.
- Discount for having few or favorable (not at-fault) claims.
- Student discounts for good grades, leaving the car at home while attending school more than 100 miles away and monitoring a teen driver with GPS.
TrueRide from Auto-Owners is a usage-based discount with an app to match, available to Auto-Owners customers in Ohio. You get a discount for signing up, then the app tracks your driving behavior and provides feedback on behaviors such as hard braking, sharp turns and acceleration. You get a driving score with each trip and, if you drive safely, an additional discount when you renew your policy.
» MORE: Car insurance comparison tool
Auto-Owners homeowners insurance
Auto-Owners offers all the standard homeowners coverage, plus add-ons you can choose. To learn more, read our Auto-Owners home insurance review.
Auto-Owners life insurance
You can get term, universal and whole life insurance policies from Auto-Owners Insurance.
For most families, term life insurance is the best mix of price and protection. From Auto-Owners, term life insurance comes in 10-, 20- or 30-year terms and can be extended to age 95.
Consult a financial advisor if you’re considering permanent life insurance.
» MORE: Compare life insurance quotes
Auto-Owners complaints and customer satisfaction
Auto-Owners had far fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for life and auto insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
Auto-Owners’ customer satisfaction ratings are better than average.
|2020 J.D. Power study||Auto-Owners ranks...|
|Auto insurance shopping||Better than average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Better than average|
More about Auto-Owners insurance
Website: Auto-Owners has a user-friendly website with information on policy options and discounts. Policyowners can log in to view policy information, select paperless billing, make payments and more.
Mobile app: Android or Apple users can download the Auto-Owners app and customers can use it to track claims, pay bills and view documents and insurance ID cards.
Other insurance types: Auto-Owners can provide other types of insurance than those listed above, sometimes through third parties. While you can still get a discount for bundling, a potential downside is that you have to manage your policies separately, rather than all from one web portal.
|Other types of insurance from Auto-Owners include:|
|Condo insurance||Motorcycle insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat insurance|
|Farm insurance||ATV and off-road vehicle insurance|
|Flood insurance||Commercial auto insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||Mobile home insurance|
Recap: Auto-Owners pros and cons
|Offers a wide variety of products with the opportunity to bundle||Only available in 26 states|
|Fewer complaints than other companies for auto and life insurance|
Auto insurance ratings methodologyNerdWallet’s auto insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, website transparency and affordability. Using our editorial discretion, we also consider customer satisfaction surveys. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read our editorial guidelines.
Insurer complaints methodologyNerdWallet examined complaints received by state insurance regulators and reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2018-2020. To assess how insurers compare to one another, the NAIC calculates a complaint index each year for each subsidiary, measuring its share of total complaints relative to its size, or share of total premiums in the industry. To evaluate a company’s complaint history, NerdWallet calculated a similar index for each insurer, weighted by market shares of each subsidiary, over the three-year period. Ratios are determined separately for auto, home (including renters and condo) and life insurance.