- Had more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance, relative to its size.
- Small insurer available in seven states.
- Offers a lot of discounts for a small insurer.
Elephant Insurance is a small company, currently available in seven states: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, Ohio and Virginia. Founded in 2009, Elephant only writes auto insurance policies. However, it sells other types of insurance, such as homeowners and renters, from other companies and offers a bundling discount in some states. Elephant sells policies directly to consumers, both online and through the phone.
Elephant auto insurance
Elephant offers typical optional car insurance coverage types, including comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance and rental reimbursement coverage. It also offers:
- Legal assistance coverage: For as little as $5 per month, policyholders can add this coverage, which pays for legal fees associated with traffic charges, estate planning, family law and more.
- Diminishing deductible is an extra option only available if you have collision coverage, and it must be purchased with the initial policy or at renewal — not mid-contract. When you sign up, Elephant takes $100 off your collision deductible immediately and another $100 each year you’re accident-free afterward, up to $500. Should you have a wreck, the collision deductible won’t reset — it’ll stay the same for a year and then continue to decrease as you stay accident-free.
Elephant’s auto insurance discounts
Discounts from Elephant, just like any other company, vary by location and coverage type. You can get a maximum of 40% off your premium with any combination of Elephant’s discounts, including:
- Multi-car discount.
- Safety and anti-theft features discount.
- Online quote discount.
- Discount for owning a home.
- Multi-policy (bundling) discount.
- Responsible driver discount.
- Paid in full discount.
- Good student discount.
- Paperless discount.
- Early bird discount for buying a policy before it starts.
- E-signature discount.
- Discount for drivers 55 years and older who complete an accident prevention course for.
Complaints about Elephant Insurance
Elephant Insurance had more complaints to state regulators than expected, relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Elephant Insurance
Website: Elephant’s website has all the normal features you’d expect, and a rep for the company says its website is mobile-friendly. You can pay bills, request ID cards, get a quote, file a claim, upload claim photos and more.
Elephant currently does not have a mobile app.
|Other types of insurance from Elephant’s partners and third-party insurers include:|
|Homeowners insurance||Condo insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||Life insurance|
|Renters insurance||Motorcycle insurance|
Recap: Elephant pros and cons
|Offers a wide variety of discounts||Only available in seven states|
|Legal assistance coverage available||More complaints to state regulators than similar-sized companies|
|Can bundle auto insurance with non-Elephant policies|