Encompass insurance reviews and ratings
- Available in 39 states.
- Had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto and home insurance.
- Doesn’t offer rideshare insurance.
Encompass insurance products are available exclusively through independent agents located across the country in 39 states. Headquartered in Northbrook, Illinois, Encompass is a subsidiary of Allstate Insurance, which ranks 10th in our 20 best car insurance companies for 2021.
Encompass auto insurance
Encompass auto insurance earned 4.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Encompass offers typical home and auto insurance policies and coverage options, and also offers combined insurance policies that include coverage for your car, home and possessions. These “EncompassOne” policies come in three levels of coverage: special, deluxe and elite, just like its stand-alone policies. Available coverage varies by state.
Encompass’s entry-level special policy package includes these auto insurance extras for an additional cost:
- New car replacement, which covers the cost of a new car in the same make and model if your vehicle is totaled or stolen. Generally, an insurer will only pay for the actual cash value of your car at the time of the accident or theft.
- Electronic equipment coverage, which pays for the loss of any electronic equipment that is permanently installed in your car, in addition to items like CDs used with the equipment. You must have comprehensive insurance to qualify for this coverage.
- Gap coverage, which pays the difference between the actual cash value of a car and the amount you owe on your car loan or lease if your vehicle is totaled or stolen.
Encompass’s mid-tier deluxe package automatically includes electronic equipment coverage, new car replacement and gap coverage and allows you to add two of the extra options from the special policy. It also includes:
- First-time accident forgiveness, which means your rate won’t increase the first time you cause an accident when you have an Encompass policy.
- Windshield repair deductible waiver, which pays to repair (but not replace) your windshield without paying a deductible.
You may also add on auto trip interruption to deluxe policies for an additional fee. If you can’t use your vehicle when you’re 100 miles or more from home, auto trip interruption will cover certain related expenses.
Encompass’s elite package includes all of the benefits above except for new car replacement and gap coverage, which are optional add-ons. The elite package also includes:
- Unlimited accident forgiveness: Accidents won’t raise your rates, even if you have more than one at-fault crash.
- Company car protection: You’ll be covered by an elite policy even if you’re driving your company car.
Encompass’s auto insurance discounts
- Safe driver bonus. This is an optional feature but is automatically included in the elite package.
- Good student discount.
- Discount if your car has anti-lock brakes.
- Anti-theft device discount.
- Early signing discount for buying a policy at least seven days before it starts.
- Discount for owning a new car.
- Discount if you own a home, condo, townhouse or mobile home.
- Defensive driver discount if you have successfully completed an approved defensive driving class.
- Passive restraint system discount.
- Discount if a driver under 21 years old completes a driver training course and has several hours of driving experience.
- Discount if a student on the policy lives 100 miles or more away from home and doesn’t have a car at school.
- Discount if you didn’t receive a cancellation notice for nonpayment in the past year.
- Discount for signing up for automatic payments.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Encompass homeowners insurance
Like with its auto insurance, Encompass offers standard homeowners insurance through three packages. You can buy these policies as stand-alone homeowners policies or in one combined policy that covers your car, home and possessions.
Encompass’s special package includes standard homeowners coverages, plus:
- Jewelry and fur. Includes up to $1,500 of coverage for your jewelry and fur, including if your items are stolen.
- Homeowners Association fees. Pays up to $1,000 in HOA fees to cover your share of property loss in your neighborhood.
- Landscape and land restoration. Pays for land restoration or to replace your lawn, shrubs or trees if they are damaged under a covered disaster.
- Burglary or theft recovery. If someone breaks in or damages your home, this coverage will pay the reward money (10% of the loss up to $1,000) for any information about the incident.
You may also add additional features for a price, including:
- Increased building costs. Pays for any additional reconstruction costs you may have because of a building code change.
- Replacement cost. If the cost to rebuild your home after a covered event is more than the original insured amount, this coverage will make up the difference.
Encompass’s mid-tier homeowner’s deluxe package includes all of the benefits of the special package, including the optional extras. It also includes coverage for:
- Water backup. Covers damage from backed up water or sump pump overflow.
- 200% property location limit. Includes coverage for your house, home structure and contents up to 200% of your home’s value. This coverage allows you to allocate your limit as you see fit (some insurers place separate limits on your home and contents).
- Walk-away coverage. Pays the estimated value for your home if it is destroyed due to an event covered by your policy.
- Mortgage rate protection. Covers up to $20,000 for increased expenses, including acquisition fees and closing costs, if you need a higher mortgage due to a covered total loss.
- Jewelry and fur coverage in higher limits than the special package. Includes up to $5,000 of coverage for your jewelry and fur, and also covers items that are lost or stolen.
- Homeowners Association fees coverage in higher limits than the special package. Pays up to $5,000 in HOA fees to cover your share of property damage in your neighborhood.
Encompass’s top-tier homeowner’s elite package includes all of the features from the deluxe coverage, in addition to:
- Lock replacement. Pays to have your house locks replaced with no deductible if your keys are lost or stolen.
- Fine art. Includes coverage to replace glass protecting your fine art in addition to any broken porcelain statuary or other fragile art.
- Identity fraud expense coverage. Covers expenses due to identity fraud, including lost wages and attorney fees, up to $20,000.
- Jewelry and fur. (higher limits than the deluxe package). Includes up to $10,000 of coverage for your jewelry and fur, including if your items are lost or stolen.
- Homeowners Association fees (higher limits than the deluxe package). Pays up to $50,000 in HOA fees to cover your share of damage in your neighborhood due to a disaster.
- Medical expenses (higher limits than the deluxe package). Covers medical costs if an accident occurs on or away from your insured location, up to $10,000.
Encompass’s home insurance discounts
- New home discount if your home is 20 years old or newer.
- Discount if you have a home security system, fire alarms, fire extinguishers or other safety devices.
- Discount if you haven’t filed a claim for the past five years.
- Homebuyer discount if you purchased a house in the past five years that is less than 49 years old.
- Discount if you’ve renovated your home systems in the past 10 years.
Complaints about Encompass
Encompass had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for home and auto insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Encompass
Website: You can view your policy, see your agent’s information and pay your bills, including automatic monthly payments, through your MyEncompass account.
Mobile app: Through the Encompass roadside assistance app, users can ask for help, share their location and receive notifications when help is on the way. You can also view your insurance card, pay your bills and view your policy if you have a MyEncompass account. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
|Other types of insurance from Encompass include:|
|Condo insurance||Boat and watercraft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||Recreational vehicle insurance|
|Identity theft insurance||Home business insurance|
Recap: Encompass pros and cons
|Few complaints to state regulators for auto and home insurance||Not available in all states|
|Subsidiary of Allstate, one of the four largest car insurance companies in the United States||Some perks only available when you purchase a higher-priced insurance package|
|Unlimited accident forgiveness available (through the Elite package)||Doesn’t offer rideshare insurance|
Auto insurance ratings methodologyNerdWallet’s auto insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, website transparency and affordability. Using our editorial discretion, we also consider customer satisfaction surveys. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read our editorial guidelines.
Insurer complaints methodologyNerdWallet examined complaints received by state insurance regulators and reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2016-2018. To assess how insurers compare to one another, the NAIC calculates a complaint index each year for each subsidiary, measuring its share of total complaints relative to its size, or share of total premiums in the industry. To evaluate a company’s complaint history, NerdWallet calculated a similar index for each insurer, weighted by market shares of each subsidiary, over the three-year period. Ratios are determined separately for auto, home (including renters and condo) and life insurance.