Esurance reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average to below average
- Esurance has about the same number of customer complaints as other companies of similar size
- It ranks 20th in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies
Esurance is known for its user-friendly website, interactive tools and cutting-edge mobile apps. It’s best for people who like to manage their own policies, have straightforward insurance needs and prefer to get quotes online.
Auto insurance rating
Esurance ranked 20th in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
A.M. Best financial strength rating: A+ (superior)
Esurance’s financial strength is “Superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Consumer complaints: Better than the median
In terms of consumer complaints, Esurance is roughly average. The company had about the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Esurance ranked “about average” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Auto Insurance Shopping Study
- It ranked among “the rest” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study
Esurance is available in 43 states.
Esurance auto insurance
DriveSense from Esurance lets drivers in Utah, Colorado, Ohio and Missouri use an app or device that tracks driving behavior. Good drivers are rewarded with policy discounts.
Make claims by video: Esurance policyholders can use video appraisal to chat in real time with appraisers after filing a claim. Rather than scheduling an in-person meeting to assess car damage, you can schedule an appraisal over your smartphone at a time that’s convenient. Esurance says that in some cases, you can get your repair estimate and even payment that same day.
Pay Per Mile: Available in Oregon only, Pay Per Mile targets those who drive under 10,000 miles per year. The program charges drivers a base rate, plus a per-mile rate for up to 150 miles a day. Additional miles are free. Esurance tracks mileage using a device that plugs into your car’s diagnostic port and transmits data back to the company. Your monthly bill reflects your base rate plus mileage charges. Not all vehicles are eligible.
CoverageMyWay from Esurance uses information about you to help you find the right coverage. It will help you navigate through all the usual coverage options, plus optional coverage including:
- Emergency roadside service: Esurance pays up to $75 for towing, tire changes, lockouts and other services when you’re stranded if you have this coverage. It can be added to auto policies that have comprehensive and collision coverage.
- CarMatch pays for the full cost of a rental comparable to your car if it’s stolen or while it’s being repaired after an accident, for up to 45 days or $3,000. This option isn’t available in all states.
- Gap insurance: If you financed or leased a vehicle and it’s totaled, insurers typically pay out what the car is worth at the time of the accident. But if you still owe more than that, Esurance will pay the difference, up to 25% of your car’s value.
- Customized parts and equipment coverage reimburses you if custom parts you add to your car are damaged or stolen, up to $4,000. It can include stereos, navigation systems and spoilers, as well as equipment for disabled passengers or drivers.
Esurance home insurance
Esurance offers homeowners insurance policies in many states; if you don’t live in one of those, Esurance will help you get home insurance through a partner company. Esurance’s standard policies include two features that many insurers don’t offer:
- Water backup coverage pays when a drain overflows or a sump pump backs up and causes damage
- Fire department charges: If you call the fire department and then are charged for its services, Esurance pays up to $5,500 toward the fee
Esurance’s optional home insurance features include:
- Building codes coverage: This comes in handy if your home is damaged and you file a claim but a new law requires more expensive repairs than your policy covers. This coverage helps pay the difference, up to 20% of your dwelling limit.
- Increased building structure coverage is extra protection for extreme damage. With this optional coverage, your policy pays up to an additional 40% of your dwelling limit.
- Identity theft coverage helps pay for costs up to $10,000 to repair your name and credit after identity theft, plus help from an ID theft advisor. Esurance also provides access to your annual credit report and score and monthly credit monitoring.
- Fair rental income reimburses you for lost revenue if a rental space in your home is left uninhabitable after a claim for up to 24 months
- Home day care: If you run an in-home day care, this covers you in case an accident happens and you’re liable, up to your policy’s liability limit
- Extended premises: If you run a two-, three- or four-unit building, this optional coverage extends your dwelling limit to the units and covers you if a tenant is injured
Other insurance through Esurance
Aside from auto, homeowners and renters insurance, Esurance offers insurance for:
- All-terrain vehicles
- Golf carts
Esurance offers these other types of insurance through its parent company, Allstate, and other affiliates:
|Other types of insurance available through Esurance affiliates|
|Life insurance||Commercial auto insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||Condo insurance|
|Business insurance||Travel trailer insurance|
|Flood insurance||Pet insurance|
|RV insurance||Boat/personal watercraft insurance|
|Classic car insurance||Cell phone insurance|
|Health insurance||Insurance for driving in Mexico|
More about Esurance
Website: Esurance’s website has everything you’ll need to buy and maintain a policy, plus user-friendly tools like:
- Coverage Counselor, which can help you determine what kind of coverage you need
- Fuelcaster, which predicts gas prices so you can time fill-ups when prices are cheaper
Mobile app: You can file and track a claim, view auto insurance ID cards, see policy details and make payments in the Esurance app, or you can also use it to find nearby repair shops, gas stations and restaurants. You can use the app to connect with an appraiser after an accident over video and, in some cases, get the claim paid right then and there.
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.