Allstate Insurance reviews & ratings
- NerdWallet’s auto insurance rating: 8th out of 21 insurers.
- Customer satisfaction is mixed for auto insurance and average for home insurance.
- Complaints against Allstate involving auto and home insurance are below the industry median.
Allstate is probably best known for its car insurance policies, but the giant company offers a variety of financial services. With its massive reach, wide range of products and many local agents, it’s a good choice for consumers who want an accessible one-stop company.
Auto insurance rating
Allstate ranked 9th in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4.5 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Allstate had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2015 (the latest data available) for a company of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Allstate ranked among “the rest” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study, the lowest possible rating.
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Allstate’s home insurance customer satisfaction is “about average,” according to the 2016 J.D. Power U.S. Home Insurance Study.
Financial strength: A+ (superior)
Allstate’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Allstate auto insurance
Your Choice Auto: This optional upgrade program may not be available in every state, but it comes with some attractive perks:
- Accident forgiveness, which means your rates won’t increase because of one accident, even if it’s your fault.
- For every six months of accident-free driving, you can earn up to 5% of your premiums back.
- When you sign up, Allstate takes $100 off your collision deductible.
- If you total a new car within the first three model-years, you can get a check for a new car, not just your car’s depreciated value.
Claim Satisfaction Guarantee: Allstate issues up to a six-month credit on your car insurance premium if you’re unhappy with how your claim was handled. In states where it is available, the guarantee comes free with all standard policies.
Drivewise: Allstate will reward you with up to a 3% discount just for using its Drivewise app, which analyzes your speed and braking behavior, as well as what time of day you drive. Safe drivers can earn rewards in the form of a check, policy credit or points toward shopping discounts. Even non-customers can sign up for the rewards points program, but it’s not available in every state.
Allstate home insurance
Allstate offers insurance for homes, including apartments, condos and mobile homes.
HostAdvantage: If you’re one of the growing number of Americans who temporarily rent out your home via Airbnb or other services, you might be interested in Allstate’s HostAdvantage home-sharing insurance. It pays out if renters destroy or steal your personal property, up to $10,000 every time you temporarily rent out your house.
Coverage costs about $50 per year, and your homeowners insurance deductible still applies. HostAdvantage is available in six states: Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee and Utah. Allstate says it will expand the coverage to other states in 2017.
Allstate life insurance
Allstate offers a full range of life insurance products, including term life and permanent life.
You can choose from two types of term life policies:
- Basic term life insurance covers you for 15 years, and is available without a medical exam, though you will have to fill out a health questionnaire. It is available only in relatively low amounts of $50,000, $100,000 or $150,000.
- TrueFit term life insurance is available in higher amounts for a coverage period of 10 to 30 years.
Allstate also offers whole life, universal life and variable universal life. These policies cover you for your entire life and build up a cash value.
More about Allstate
Allstate’s website has several tools for everything from determining whether to rent or own your house to calculating an auto loan. You can also find a local agent, get a quote, locate a mechanic or read about product offerings.
The Allstate mobile phone app allows you to pay your bill, manage your policies, check on the status of a claim, get roadside help and even find your parked vehicle.
The Drivewise app tracks driving behavior and is available even to non-customers.
The Allstate Digital Locker app is free and helps you create an inventory of your home’s items for safekeeping.
|OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE FROM ALLSTATE|
- 2015 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2015 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2015 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.