Allstate reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are below average.
- Gets fewer complaints to state regulators regarding auto insurance than other companies relative to its size.
- Offers rideshare insurance in most states.
Allstate is probably best known for its car insurance policies, but the giant company offers a variety of financial services. With its massive reach, wide range of products and many local agents, it’s a good choice for consumers who want an accessible one-stop company.
Allstate auto insurance
Allstate auto insurance earned 4.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula looks at factors like account pricing and discounts, website transparency, financial strength, ease of filing a claim, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings, Allstate is among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies for 2021.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Common types of car insurance coverage
When you’re shopping for car insurance, it’s important to understand what car insurance coverage you want and what you’re required to buy. Most states require car insurance to drive a vehicle, although minimum coverage requirements vary from state to state. This generally includes liability insurance and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.
If you want extra protection, you may be interested in full coverage insurance. Full coverage isn’t a specific policy you can buy, but rather a combination of coverage types like liability, collision and comprehensive insurance.
Check out the most common types of car insurance coverage below to see how they work:
|Coverage type||What it pays for||Required?|
|Bodily injury and property damage liability||Costs for injuries, deaths or property damage from an accident you caused.||Typically required.|
|Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage||Medical and property damage costs after an accident with a driver who has insufficient insurance or none at all.||Often required.|
|Collision coverage||Repair expenses from traffic-related accidents, regardless of who's at fault.||A car loan or lease may require it.|
|Comprehensive coverage||Repair costs from events outside of your control — including weather events, hitting an animal while driving, theft and vandalism.||A car loan or lease may require it.|
Allstate offers the usual auto coverage choices, plus some optional features you can add (depending on your state) for an extra cost, including:
- Accident forgiveness, which means your rates won’t increase because of one accident, even if it’s your fault.
- Safe driving bonus: For every six months of accident-free driving with Allstate, you can receive a check.
- Deductible rewards: For each year with no driving violations, you earn $100 off your collision deductible, up to $500 off. Allstate takes the first $100 off when you sign up.
- New car replacement: If you total a new car within the first two model years, you can get a check for a new car, not just your car’s depreciated value.
- Roadside assistance in three different options: Pay-per-use, as an add-on to auto policies or from Allstate’s Motor Club, which is a subscription service similar to AAA.
- Rideshare insurance: Allstate’s Ride for Hire coverage is an add-on for customers who drive for ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft. This policy isn’t available in all states. Rideshare companies’ full coverage kicks in only while you’re carrying passengers, with limited coverage in between rides. Ridesharing insurance from Allstate is built into your regular policy and covers you the whole time your app is on.
Allstate also has several features that don’t cost extra, such as:
- Car buying service: Allstate advertises discounts and savings when you use this service, which provides information about what others paid for the same type of car, including incentives and fees.
- Claim satisfaction guarantee: Allstate issues up to a six-month credit on your car insurance premium if you’re unhappy with how a claim was handled. In states where it’s available, the guarantee comes free with all standard policies.
- Milewise: Based on the miles you drive, Milewise insurance has a daily base rate plus a per-mile-rate. If you’re not often behind the wheel or don’t have a long commute, this type of coverage may save you money. This policy isn’t offered in all states.
- Drivewise: Allstate rewards you with a discount just for using its Drivewise app, which analyzes your speed and braking behavior, as well as what time of day you drive. You can earn cash back every six months you drive safely afterward and earn rewards points toward shopping discounts. Even non-customers can sign up for the rewards points program, but it’s not available in every state.
Allstate’s auto insurance discounts include:
- New car discount.
- Multiple policy (bundling) discount.
- Good student discount.
- Discount if your car has anti-lock brakes.
- Anti-theft device discount.
- Early signing discount.
- Discount if you didn’t receive a cancellation notice for non-payment in the past year.
- Discount for setting up automatic withdrawals.
- Paperless discount.
- Discount for paying upfront.
- Safe driving discount.
Allstate complaints and customer satisfaction
Allstate had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Allstate’s customer satisfaction ratings are above average for auto insurance claims, but below average for auto insurance shopping according to J.D. Power’s 2020 insurance studies.
|2020 J.D. Power study||Allstate ranks...|
|Auto Insurance Shopping||Below average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Above average|
More about Allstate
Website: Allstate’s website has several tools and resources on its site, including some for retirement planning or to help you move. You can also find a local agent, get a quote, locate a mechanic or read about product offerings.
Allstate’s main mobile phone app allows you to pay your bill, manage your policies, check on the status of a claim, get roadside help and even use augmented reality to map out paths to safety in the event of a fire or other emergency. It includes the Drivewise feature that tracks driving behavior.
Allstate homeowners and life insurance
Allstate offers standard insurance for homes, including apartments, condos and mobile homes. To get more details about coverage options and discounts, see our Allstate homeowners insurance review.
Allstate also offers a range of life insurance products, including term life, whole life, universal life and variable universal life policies. Learn more about policy details and coverage amounts on our Allstate life insurance review page.
» MORE: Compare life insurance quotes
|Other types of insurance from Allstate|
|Homeowners and condo insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
|Renters insurance||All-terrain vehicle insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||Business insurance|
|Boat insurance||Mobile home insurance|
Auto insurance buying guide
Before you compare car insurance companies, you’ll need to collect basic information, such as the driving history of everyone on the policy and facts about your car, including safety features and annual mileage driven. You’ll also want to understand which types of coverage you need. For example, do you want only the bare minimum insurance that your state requires, or do you need more extensive coverage, such as gap insurance or rideshare coverage? Check that each company you’re considering has the options you want.
When comparing rates among insurers, make sure each is offering the same coverage limits and deductibles. You may not want to decide based on price alone. Look at how many consumer complaints each company has, as high numbers can be a red flag about the quality of service you might receive.
Depending on which company you choose, you may be able to buy insurance online, over the phone or through an agent. For more guidance, see how to get car insurance.
Recap: Allstate pros and cons
|Fewer complaints to state regulators than expected for auto insurance.||Customer satisfaction ratings are below average compared with other companies.|
|Generous perks, including accident forgiveness, new car replacement and a safe-driving bonus every six months.|
|Offers rideshare insurance in many states.|