- Customer satisfaction is average for auto and home insurance.
- Gets fewer complaints to state regulators regarding auto and home insurance than other companies of its size.
- Offers rideshare insurance in most states.
Allstate is probably best known for its car insurance policies, but the giant company offers a variety of financial services. With its massive reach, wide range of products and many local agents, it’s a good choice for consumers who want an accessible one-stop company.
Auto insurance rating
Allstate ranked 9th in NerdWallet’s ranking of the best car insurance companies, earning 4.5 stars out of 5. NerdWallet’s rating is a score based on:
- J.D. Power ratings for claims satisfaction and customer service.
- Consumer complaints against the insurer, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Allstate had fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016, the latest data available, for a company of its size for auto and home insurance, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Allstate ranked “about average” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance in J.D. Power’s 2017 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study.
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Allstate ranked “about average,” for overall satisfaction in home insurance, according to the 2017 J.D. Power U.S. Home Insurance Study.
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Property Claims Satisfaction Study.
Financial strength: A+ (superior)
Allstate’s financial strength is “superior,” according to ratings agency A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates how well an insurer can pay claims.
Allstate auto insurance
Allstate offers the usual auto coverages and discounts, plus some optional features you can add (depending on your state) for an extra price, including:
- Accident forgiveness, which means your rates won’t increase because of one accident, even if it’s your fault.
- Safe driving bonus: For every six months of accident-free driving with the insurer, you can receive a check from Allstate.
- Deductible rewards: For each year with no driving violations, you earn $100 off your collision deductible, up to $500 off. Allstate takes the first $100 off when you sign up.
- New car replacement: If you total a new car within the first two model-years, you can get a check for a new car, not just your car’s depreciated value.
Claim satisfaction guarantee: Allstate issues up to a six-month credit on your car insurance premium if you’re unhappy with how a claim was handled. In states where it is available, the guarantee comes free with all standard policies.
Drivewise: Allstate rewards you with up to a 3% discount just for using its Drivewise app, which analyzes your speed and braking behavior, as well as what time of day you drive. You can earn an additional 15% back after your first 50 trips and every six months you drive safely afterward, and earn rewards points toward shopping discounts. Even non-customers can sign up for the rewards points program, but it’s not available in every state.
Rideshare insurance: Allstate now offers coverage in 42 states and Washington, D.C., for customers who drive for ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft. Those companies’ full coverage only kicks in while you’re carrying passengers, with limited coverage in between rides. Ridesharing insurance from is built into your regular policy and covers you the whole time your app is on.
Allstate home insurance
Allstate offers standard insurance for homes, including apartments, condos and mobile homes. You can choose from additional coverage options including:
- Water backup coverage, which pays out if your sump pump or drain backs up and causes water damage.
- Scheduled property coverage, which pays out if certain valuables are stolen or damaged.
- Green improvement, which helps cover the additional cost of upgrading to energy-efficient versions of items you’re replacing after a claim.
- Electronic data recovery, which pays to replace lost or stolen computer data, such as photos and videos.
- Identity theft restoration, which can reimburse for legal fees, lost wages and other costs if your identity is stolen.
HostAdvantage: If you temporarily rent out your home via Airbnb or other services, you might be interested in Allstate’s home-sharing insurance. It pays out if renters destroy or steal your personal property. Coverage costs about $50 per year and is not available in every state.
Allstate life insurance
Allstate offers a full range of life insurance products, including term life and permanent life.
You can choose from two types of term life policies:
- Basic term life insurance covers you for 15 years, and is available without a medical exam, though you will have to fill out a health questionnaire. It is available only in relatively low amounts of $50,000, $100,000 or $150,000.
- TrueFit term life insurance is available in higher amounts for a coverage period of 10 to 30 years.
Allstate also offers whole life, universal life and variable universal life.
More about Allstate
Website: Allstate’s website has several tools for everything from determining whether to rent or own your house to calculating an auto loan. You can also find a local agent, get a quote, locate a mechanic or read about product offerings.
Allstate’s main mobile phone app allows you to pay your bill, manage your policies, check on the status of a claim, get roadside help and even find your parked vehicle. It includes the Drivewise feature that tracks driving behavior.
The Allstate Digital Locker app is free and helps you create an inventory of your home’s items, which can be really helpful if you ever need to make a claim.
|Other types of insurance from Allstate|
- 2016 consumer complaints data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The median complaint ratio for the industry is 1. Lower ratios are better. Insurers whose median complaint ratios were more than 1 received fewer points; those lower than 1 received more points.
- 2017 regional customer service satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the average J.D. Power rating across regions, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
- 2016 auto claims satisfaction data from J.D. Power. The higher the J.D. Power rating, the more points the insurer scored in our calculation.
Only larger insurers with data available in all three of these categories were included. In case of ties, NAIC consumer complaints data were used to break the tie. Smaller insurers not listed here may also be good choices and are worth consideration.