at a glance
- NerdWallet ranking: No. 17 life insurance company.
- Offers term life insurance and four types of universal life policies.
- Fewer complaints than expected for a company of its size.
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, not all companies are accepting new life insurance applications. For the latest information on how to cope with financial stress during this emergency, see NerdWallet’s financial guide to COVID-19.Protective Life Insurance Co. offers term life and four types of universal life insurance, including a low-priced policy to rival term life insurance.
» MORE: Compare life insurance quotes
Protective Life insurance
Protective Life ranks No. 17 on NerdWallet’s list of the best life insurance companies. NerdWallet evaluates the country’s largest life insurance companies based on financial strength, customer satisfaction and consumer complaints.
Life insurance options from Protective Life include:
Term life. Protective offers 10- to 30-year term life insurance policies with coverage of $100,000 to $50 million. Online quotes are available for policies up to $10 million.
Universal life insurance designed for affordability. The Custom Choice policy, marketed as an alternative to term life insurance, is priced lower than other permanent policies. You pay a level premium for coverage for a certain period, from 10 to 30 years. At the end of the period, the price stays the same, but you begin receiving less coverage. The universal policy is designed for people who think their life insurance needs will decrease when they get older but still want some coverage until they die. The policy is not designed to build substantial cash value.
Other types of universal life insurance.
- Universal life provides permanent coverage but offers the flexibility to raise or lower premiums and coverage to accommodate your changing needs. The accompanying cash-value account grows tax-deferred.
- Variable universal life lets you tie the growth of the cash value account to underlying stock investments.
- Survivorship universal life, sometimes called joint survivorship or second-to-die life insurance, covers two people under one policy. It’s designed for couples and can be used as an estate planning tool. The policy pays out when the second partner dies. The coverage may be less expensive than buying two separate policies.
Life insurance for children. Protect My Child is a whole life insurance policy. You can buy $10,000 to $100,000 of coverage on a child 14 days to 17 years old.
Protective Life complaints and customer satisfaction
Over three years, Protective Life has had fewer complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size, according to NerdWallet’s analysis of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Protective Life was rated “about average” for overall customer satisfaction in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Life Insurance Study. The company scored 10th out of 24 insurers evaluated.
|Customer satisfaction category||Protective Life's score|
|Overall satisfaction||About average|
|Billing and payment||Below average|
|Price||Better than most|
|Policy offerings||Below average|
|Interaction||Better than most|
More about Protective Life
In addition to life insurance, Protective Life offers an array of retirement annuities, including immediate, fixed, variable, indexed and registered index-linked varieties.