Shelter insurance reviews and ratings
- Number of customer complaints is low when compared with insurance companies of similar sizes.
- Many coverage options and discounts are available.
- Shelter Insurance is available in certain states only.
Shelter Insurance is a Missouri-based insurance company that offers auto, home and life insurance policies as well as other types of coverage in Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
Shelter auto insurance
Shelter auto insurance earned 5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
In addition to typical car insurance coverage options, Shelter offers:
- New car replacement coverage. If you total a new car you bought within the last year and that has less than 15,000 miles on it, Shelter will pay for a brand-new car of the same year, make and model. This coverage is included with every auto insurance policy on new vehicles.
- Disability income coverage. If you are in a car crash and can’t return to work because of your injuries, Shelter will provide a weekly stipend for up to one year. This coverage may not be available in all states.
- Accidental death coverage pays out if you or your spouse dies in a car crash, and can also be extended to additional family members.
- Gap insurance. Shelter will cover the cost difference if your collision coverage can’t cover the full amount needed to repair your car’s damage.
» MORE: Compare car insurance
Shelter’s auto insurance discounts include:
- Safe driver.
- Good student.
- If you pay premiums in full every six or 12 months.
- If you own multiple cars.
- If you are at least 48 years old and own another qualifying Shelter policy.
- If your car has factory-installed air bags or automatic seat belts.
- If you pass an accident prevention course.
- If every driver in your household younger than 21 has completed an approved driver’s education class.
- Anti-theft (available in Kentucky and Illinois only).
- Multiple coverage (Nevada only).
- If you have your car’s vehicle identification number etched into every window (Louisiana only).
Shelter homeowners insurance
Shelter’s home insurance policy offers the typical coverage to protect your home and property, as well as additional coverage such as:
- Debris removal. Shelter will cover the cost to remove debris after a covered claim.
- Necessary repairs after a loss coverage will repay you for repairs to protect your home from additional damage after an event, such as patching a hole to prevent rain or animals from entering your home.
- Fire department charge reimbursement. Shelter will reimburse up to $500 of fire department charges if they are called to protect your home.
- Trees, shrubs, plants and lawns coverage will reimburse you for damage to greenery on your property after a qualifying claim.
- Credit card fraud and check forgery will pay up to $1,000 if an unauthorized person uses your credit card or forges a check under your name.
Shelter’s home insurance discounts include:
- Discount on monthly premiums if you own a qualifying Shelter car insurance policy.
- If you have smoke alarms, security alarms and deadbolt locks.
- If you don’t file a claim on your policy for six consecutive years.
- New home discount.
- Heating system discount if you don’t burn coal, wood or other solids.
Shelter life insurance
EZ Term Life Insurance: $50,000 of term life insurance is available for most people up to 40 years old. Monthly premiums remain the same, and the policy can be converted into permanent life insurance at any time before age 40 without needing to prove you are in good health.
Level Term Life Insurance is available in 10, 20 or 30 years, and is renewable up to 95 years old. Coverage amounts start at $100,000.
Shelter Express Term Life Insurance is available for people between the ages of 18 and 60 who want to purchase a term life insurance policy that doesn’t require a physical exam. As long as you can pass Shelter’s health questionnaire, you can receive coverage of up to $100,000.
Junior Special Insurance: $20,000 of coverage is available for a child or grandchild under the age of 17. Coverage can be converted to a permanent life policy of up to $100,000 when the person turns 25.
Shelter also offers permanent life insurance policies, including whole and universal life.Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, not all companies are accepting new life insurance applications. For the latest information on how to cope with financial stress during this emergency, see NerdWallet’s financial guide to COVID-19.
» MORE: Compare life insurance quotes
Complaints about Shelter
Shelter had far fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto, life and home insurance, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Shelter
Website: Shelter’s website is easy to navigate, with insurance product offerings accessible from the main menu. You can get a quote as well as find a nearby Shelter agent directly from the homepage.
Mobile app: Shelter’s mobile app can be used to report a claim, view policy details and coverages, pay your bill, request roadside assistance and to contact your Shelter agent.
Shelter’s phone number is 1-800-SHELTER.
|Other types of insurance from Shelter include:|
|Motorcycle insurance||Renters insurance|
|RV insurance||ATV insurance|
|Boat insurance||Farm insurance|
|Flood insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Personal articles insurance||Business insurance|
Recap: Shelter pros and cons
|Fewer complaints than similarly sized companies||Not offered in every state|
|Many discounts available||Some discounts may be not be available depending on where you live|
|User-friendly website and mobile-app that allow online claims and bill payments|