NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
A cash-out refinance could be right for you if you need money for home repairs or renovations, or if you want to consolidate high-interest debt. The process involves refinancing your home for more than you owe on the existing mortgage. You get the difference to use on whatever you need. It can be a helpful way to tap your home’s equity for major expenses.
Your options for cash-out refinance lenders are extensive, from all-digital outfits with speedy online applications to major banks with branches nationwide for in-person service.
To help you narrow down your choices, NerdWallet has picked some of the best cash-out refinance lenders in several categories so you can quickly determine the right one for you.
Best cash-out refi lenders for online mortgage experience
If you want to handle the entire cash-out refi process online, these lenders offer easy online applications and web portals.
- The largest online mortgage lender in the U.S.
- Automated online application that imports employment and income data, credit scores, property info and more
- Gives a cash-out refi decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Charges no origination fees or broker commissions on refinance loans
- Fully automated online cash-out refi experience
- Shorter loan process than with traditional lenders, including a decision within hours
- Lenda review
Best cash-out refi lenders for government programs
If you want to refinance a VA, FHA or U.S. Department of Agriculture mortgage, these highly rated lenders specialize in government programs.
- Offers full array of government mortgage programs, including FHA, VA, USDA
- Has a “no steering policy” requiring their loan officers to help you pick the best product for you, not them
- “Lifetime Guarantee” refinance program waives lender fees and reimburses appraisal costs for repeat customers
- LoanDepot review
- Specializes in VA loans and offers VA cash-out refinancing
- Focuses on serving active-duty military and veteran borrowers
- Earns top customer satisfaction ratings based on low number of complaints to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Veterans United review
Best cash-out refinance lenders for customer service
If your priority is top-notch customer service, one of these lenders could be ideal for you.
- Flexible closing-cost options for refinancing
- Offers assistance at every point during the mortgage process
- Provides customer service in physical locations, online and via chat or phone
- SunTrust Mortgage review
- Offers a completely digital mortgage platform for cash-out refis
- Has hundreds of high marks and positive reviews on sites such as the Better Business Bureau, Yelp and LendingTree
- Boasts a more than a 95% customer satisfaction rate
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best traditional bank cash-out refi lenders
Consider these institutions if you prefer to get your cash-out refinance with a well-known name that’s likely to have a branch near you.
- Provides a large variety of refinance options
- Offers fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Affordable Refinance Program loans
- Start your cash-out refi online, by phone or in a branch
- Chase Mortgage review
- Offers a range of refinancing loans, including fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA and VA
- Start your cash-out refi by prequalifying online in minutes, by phone or in a branch
- Existing bank customers may qualify for a discount on origination fees
- Bank of America review
Best credit union lenders for cash-out refis
If a big bank or online lender isn’t for you, consider joining and refinancing through one of these credit unions.
- A national lender with nine branch locations in four states
- Apply for your cash-out refi online, by phone or in a branch
- Offers a variety of fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgage products
- Connexus Credit Union review
- A smaller lender that offers more personalized service than big banks
- Permits refinancing for homeowners who have only 5% equity
- You can begin your cash-out refi application online, by phone or in a branch
- Alliant review
Best cash-out refi mortgage lenders: Summary
- Rocket Mortgage: Online experience
- Lenda: Online experience
- SunTrust Mortgage: Customer service
- Guaranteed Rate: Customer service
- LoanDepot: Government programs
- Veterans United: Government programs
- Chase Mortgage: Traditional lenders
- Bank of America: Traditional lenders
- Connexus Credit Union: Credit union lenders
- Alliant Credit Union: Credit union lenders