NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
When you buy a home, you’re in it for the long haul. You’ll have a mortgage payment for years, so it makes sense to find the best mortgage lender you can. To do that, shop for offers from at least three lenders.
Compare mortgage rates and other loan terms such as fees, time to close, the availability of online application and loan tracking, and customer service offerings. Taking the time to make an informed decision can save you thousands of dollars over the life of your loan.
» MORE: Check your credit score for free
To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has picked some of the best out there in a variety of categories to help you get the home loan with the best mortgage rate, term and fees.
Best mortgage lenders for purchase loans
These lenders offer a wide variety of home loans, the ability to serve customers from all walks of life, competitive loan terms and robust customer service for home buyers.
- Offers full line of mortgage loans. Is the largest FHA lender in the nation.
- Has a 1% down payment program for qualified buyers
- Rocket Mortgage, Quicken’s new offering, allows you to complete the application process online
- Quicken Loans review
- Is a full-service lender that offers underwriting flexibility, low down payment programs and strong online tools
- Charges a flat origination fee. Considers income from multiple jobs.
- Has multiple assistance and grant programs
- New American Funding review
Best online lenders
More borrowers like getting a mortgage electronically, yet talking with an experienced loan officer still matters. Look for online lenders offering both.
- Apply for a mortgage on a mobile app or online
- Reduces waiting for answers with rapid decisions on applications
- Easy import of financial data saves borrowers time
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Refinances with zero origination fees or broker commissions
- 620 minimum required credit score to qualify
- An automated service may suggest ways to improve your mortgage rate
- Lenda review
Best mortgage lenders for refinancing
Because this is not your first mortgage, you want a lender that processes a refinance efficiently and helps you easily find the best rates and loan options.
- Government mortgage programs, including VA, FHA and USDA
- Mortgages available in all 50 states
- Lifetime Guarantee” refinance program offers no lender fees for repeat customers (with some restrictions)
- LoanDepot review
- Fixed-rate, adjustable-rate and jumbo loans and access to FHA, VA and USDA products
- Options for borrowers with low down payments and nontraditional credit histories
- Customer assistance via chat, online, phone and in-person
- SunTrust review
Best mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
Lenders who work with first-time home buyers are experienced at helping borrowers qualify for FHA loans and other mortgages with low down payment requirements.
- Lends to borrowers with credit scores as low as 550 in some cases
- Offers down payment assistance in cooperation with housing authorities in selected states
- Borrowers must take online financial education class
- Carrington review
Best mortgage lenders for VA loans
When you are shopping for a VA mortgage, it is important to work with a lender that has deep knowledge of every aspect of the program.
- Serves veterans and active-duty military personnel with full range of government loans, including USDA, VA and FHA
- Low complaint volume with CFPB
- Largest lender of VA purchase mortgages
- Veterans United Home Loans review
- Garners favorable user reviews online, including at Better Business Bureau
- Customers satisfaction at over 95%
- Purchase and refinance borrowers can use all-digital mortgage platform
- Guaranteed Rate Mortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for FHA borrowers
With so many lenders offering FHA financing, you need to shop around and compare the best options.
- Manual underwriting allows lender more flexibility in approving loans
- Focus on minority and nontraditional mortgage borrowers
- Minimum credit score: 620 for conventional loans and 580 for FHA and VA
- New American Funding review
Best mortgage lenders of 2018: summary
- Quicken Loans: Purchase loans
- New American Funding: Purchase loans
- Rocket Mortgage: Online lending
- Lenda: Online lending
- LoanDepot: Refinancing
- SunTrust: Refinancing
- Carrington Mortgage Services: First-time borrowers
- CitiMortgage: First-time borrowers
- Veterans United Home Loans: VA mortgages
- Guaranteed Rate: VA mortgages
- New American Funding: FHA loans
- CitiMortgage: FHA loans
Best mortgage lenders of 2018: review
Minimum credit score*
Low down payments; largest FHA lender
|New American Funding|
Purchase loans, FHA loans
Low down payments; underwriting flexibility
620 (conventional); 580 (FHA)
Simple and fast online application
No origination fees or broker commissions
No lender fees for repeat customers on refinances
Low down payments; customer assistance
|Carrington Mortgage Services|
Lends to low credit score borrowers; down payment assistance
First-time borrowers, FHA loans
Low down payments without PMI
|Veterans United Home Loans|
Largest VA lender
620 (conventional and VA)
High customer satisfaction rates
620 (conventional); 580 (VA)
More from NerdWallet
Learn how much house you can afford
Compare mortgage rates
* Minimum credit score on top loans; other loan types or factors may selectively influence minimum credit score standardsNerdWallet’s selection of mortgage lenders for inclusion here was made based on our evaluation of the products and services that lenders offer to consumers who are actively shopping for the best mortgage. The six key areas we evaluated include the loan types and loan products offered, online capabilities, online mortgage rate information, customer service and the number of complaints filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as a percentage of loans issued. We also awarded lenders up to one bonus star for a unique program or borrower focus that set them apart from other lenders. To ensure consistency, our ratings are reviewed by multiple people on the NerdWallet Mortgages team.