Texas residents who want to buy their first homes can get help from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, or TDHCA. The state’s My First Texas Home loan program includes down payment and closing cost assistance.
The program’s low-interest rate loans are offered through a network of participating lenders. These are among the best, as determined by NerdWallet research.
Best TDHCA mortgage lenders for customer service
These lenders emphasize the human touch and strive to make the loan process go smoothly.
- Has 180 affiliated loan stores nationwide for borrowers who prefer to speak face to face.
- Offers a wide range of mortgage options, including FHA, VA and USDA loans.
- Low volume of customer complaints.
- LoanDepot review.
- Offers closing-cost credits to qualified low- to moderate-income borrowers.
- Has a low incidence of consumer complaints.
- Headquartered in Texas.
- PrimeLending review.
Best TDHCA mortgage lenders for an online experience
Customers of these lenders may start the loan process and upload documents using a mobile app.
- Seeks to serve customers with nontraditional credit, employment and income sources.
- Begin the loan application within the Pronto app and upload documents electronically.
- Has a Spanish-language version of its website.
- Alterra Home Loans review.
- Mobile app aims to simplify loan application and tracking.
- Provides FAQs and a mortgage glossary.
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans.
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review.
Best TDHCA mortgage lenders for government loans
These lenders welcome borrowers who want low-down-payment mortgages backed by the FHA and VA.
- Specializes in first-time home buyers and state housing agencies.
- Emphasizes FHA and VA lending.
- Services the loans it originates to maintain relationships with its borrowers.
- Guild Mortgage review.
- Extensive educational material available on the Homebridge website.
- Minimum credit score of 550 for government-backed loans.
- Costco members may qualify for discounts on loan origination fees.
- Homebridge Financial Services review.
More TDHCA participating mortgage lenders
The following are some of the highest-volume lenders that participate in TDHCA first-time home buyer programs. They have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
Top TDHCA mortgage lenders: summary
LoanDepot: Best for low volume of customer complaints.
Alterra Home Loans: Best for borrowers with nontraditional credit.
Fairway Independent Mortgage: Best for a variety of loans.
Guild Mortgage: Best for servicing the loans it originates.
Homebridge Financial Services: Best for educational materials on website.
Supreme Lending: High-volume TDHCA participating lender.
Cornerstone Home Lending: High-volume TDHCA participating lender.
AmCap Home Loans: High-volume TDHCA participating lender.
Gateway Mortgage Group: High-volume TDHCA participating lender.
More from NerdWallet