With checked bag fees seemingly always on the rise, packing light could save you money. But for the over-packers out there, this could be an impossible feat.
We’re here to help with 5 simple ways to lighten your luggage on your next trip.
1. Pack layers
Bring more with less. Thinner clothes used for skiing, outdoor activities and layering in cold climates pack lighter than bulky sweaters. Go with these options when you can.
2. Make a list
Too often, I’ve either packed at the last minute or packed “just-in-case” clothes and end up with several outfits I never actually wear.
Don’t pack more than one just-in-case outfit. If a fancy event you weren’t planning for comes up, or you discover you need something you did not think to pack, odds are you can buy what you need at your destination.
» Learn more: Best travel credit cards of 2018
3. Limit shoes
Stuff shoes with your clothing and socks before putting them in your luggage. It’ll save on space.
4. Roll your clothes
This is the ultimate tip. Your clothes will get less wrinkled and you can pack more of what you need in a tighter space.
5. Stick to small comfort items
I love having a pillow with me, but I don’t find the blow-up neck pillows comfortable. Instead of going with bulky items, try something that can easily substitute for a pillow and stay small once you’re off the plane. For instance, I opt for a wrist rest that has foam beans in it. It’s just as comfortable as a pillow yet folds easily into my bag.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Visa® credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card