Though travelers typically book Southwest Airlines to get around the continental U.S., you can also get to Central America on the airline. Travelers can fly to Liberia, Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica, as well as Belize City, Belize.
>>Learn more: 4 things the Southwest Rapid Rewards program gets right
- Liberia’s airport offers easy access to beautiful beaches of Costa Rica. But depending on your departure city, you’ll have to connect via Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. And you may not be able to arrive the same day you depart, so plan to overnight in Houston to take this flight.
- Meanwhile, San Jose, Costa Rica flights leave from both Houston and Fort Lauderdale. San Jose is a couple hours drive from most tourism and natural attractions.
- Southwest also offers flights to Belize City, Belize from Houston Hobby, Fort Lauderdale and Denver. Belize City is home to stunning coral reefs, beaches and ancient Mayan caves.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2019, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Southwest Rapid Rewards program: The complete guide
Which Southwest credit card should I get?
The Southwest Companion Pass: Why you want it and how to get it