Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Best for travellers who make frequent purchases in U.S. dollars.
Travellers who frequently spend money in the States will get the best rate from this card. But a solid 1.5% baseline rate on regular purchases could make the Rogers World Elite Mastercard a contender for everyday spenders.
Learn more about how we evaluate cards.
This no-fee credit card is marketed to travellers seeking the flexibility of cash-back rewards. However, its lukewarm welcome offer may not be enough to entice new cardholders.
Rogers™ World Elite® Mastercard®
Interest Rates19.99% / 22.99%19.99% for purchases, 22.99% for cash advances.
Rewards Rate1.5%-3%% on purchases made in U.S. dollars. 1.5% on everything else.
Intro Offer$25Get $25 in cash-back rewards when you make your first card purchase within 3 months of receiving your card.
- 1.5% in unlimited cash-back rewards for eligible regular purchases.
- 3.5% in unlimited cash-back rewards for eligible U.S. dollar purchases.
- Cash-back rewards can be redeemed for purchases or applied directly to your Rogers, Fido, or chatr mobile phone bill. Cash-back rewards can be redeemed using the Rogers Bank app or Pay with Rewards app. You must accrue at least $10 in cash-back rewards before you can redeem them on a purchase, and redemptions do not count toward minimum payment amounts.
- $0 annual fee.
- Earn unlimited cash-back rewards anywhere Mastercard is accepted.
- Free Boingo Wi-Fi for Mastercard® Cardholders at over 1 million hotspots worldwide.
- Access to over 1,000 LoungeKey airport lounges in over 100 countries with Mastercard Airport Experiences.
- No charge to add additional cardholders.
- Security features like transaction monitoring and alerts, zero liability for unauthorized use and balance protection.
- Eight types of insurance provided, including 10-day travel medical benefits for those up to age 64 — up to $1 million in coverage. Three days of medical benefits are provided for those age 65 to 75.
- Preferred rates: 19.99% for purchases, 22.99% for cash advances.
- To be eligible, $80,000 (individual) or $150,000 (household) annual income is required. Also, you must have a Canadian credit file and be a Canadian resident of the age of majority in the province or territory where you live.
Rogers World Elite Mastercard full review
The Rogers World Elite Mastercard is a cash-back credit card with no annual fee. It’s one of two Rogers Bank credit cards currently accepting applicants. Cardholders earn unlimited cash back with no annual spending caps and receive several types of travel insurance coverage.
Benefits of the Rogers World Elite Mastercard
One of this card’s standout features is its cash-back rate of 3% on U.S. dollar purchases — and that’s because credit cards that specifically reward USD spending are few and far between. Sweetening the deal is airport lounge access for $32 USD per person per visit.
Cardholders also benefit from travel insurance and pay no annual fee to carry the card.
Drawbacks of the Rogers World Elite Mastercard
The Rogers World Elite Mastercard’s travel insurance doesn’t cover delayed flights and baggage or hotel burglaries. Plus, its airport lounge access comes at a cost. It’s also missing some travel perks offered by competing cards, like priority boarding and free checked bags.
Who should get the Rogers World Elite Mastercard?
Travellers who make frequent purchases in U.S. dollars or everyday spenders seeking cash-back rewards stand to benefit most from the Rogers World Elite Mastercard’s rewards rates and travel perks.
Is the Rogers World Elite Mastercard worth it?
Whether the Rogers World Elite Mastercard makes sense for your wallet largely depends on your spending habits. There’s no annual fee to recoup, which is a point in its favour. That said, the card offers its highest cash-back rate on purchases made in U.S. dollars, so cardholders who like to spend in the States are best positioned to maximize the card’s value.
Rogers Bank customer ratings
- Mediocre Trustpilot rating: 2.6 out of 5 possible stars based on fewer than 10 customer reviews, as of this writing. Its parent company, Rogers Communications, receives a Trustpilot rating of 1.2 out of 5 possible stars based on over 1,000 customer reviews, as of this writing.
- Poor Better Business Bureau rating: 1.11 out of 5 possible stars based on over 15 customer reviews, as of this writing. Its parent company, Rogers Communications, receives 1.09 out of 5 possible stars based on over 300 customer reviews, as of this writing.
Rogers World Elite Mastercard eligibility
Who qualifies for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard?
To qualify for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard, you must:
- Be a Canadian resident.
- Be at least the age of majority for your province or territory.
- Not have declared bankruptcy in the past seven years.
- Have a minimum annual income of $80,000 or household income of $150,000.
- Maintain a minimum spend of $15,000 annually.
Approximate credit score needed for approval
Canadian credit card issuers rarely disclose required credit scores, which makes it hard to know your chances of approval when comparing credit cards. However, higher scores generally mean better chances of approval, and that’s true regardless of the type of credit you’re applying for.
Want to learn more? Visit our “What Credit Score is Needed for a Credit Card?” page.
Rogers World Elite Mastercard rewards
Receive a $25 cash-back welcome bonus after you make your first purchase within the first three months of card membership.
Cardholders earn cash-back rewards at the following rates:
- 3% unlimited cash back on all U.S. dollar purchases.
- 1.5% unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
This card’s welcome bonus is straightforward and accessible — new cardholders can earn the $25 cash-back bonus by making a purchase within the first three months of card membership.
Beyond its welcome offer, the Rogers World Elite Mastercard earns unlimited 3% cash back on U.S. dollar purchases and 1.5% on everything else. Cardholders who make large or frequent U.S. dollar purchases stand to earn more than those who don’t. But a healthy 1.5% cash-back rate on everyday spending means there are rewards to be gained with any purchase.
The card also carries a respectable insurance coverage bundle, which offers additional value should it ever need to be used.
How to apply for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard
The application process for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard can be completed online:
- Select the Apply Now button from the Rogers World Elite Mastercard page on the Rogers Bank website.
- Confirm your eligibility for the Rogers World Elite Mastercard by selecting your responses to the eligibility questionnaire.
- Review the card’s terms and conditions and select Continue.
- Enter your personal details, including your full name, date of birth, phone number, email address, residential address and employment status.
- Tell Rogers Bank about your finances, including your annual personal income, household income and residential status.
- Review the information you’ve entered and select Continue.
- Review the card’s insurance coverage, as well as the terms and conditions.
- Submit your application.
Rogers World Elite Mastercard vs Tangerine World Mastercard
Both of these credit cards earn cash back, but eligibility criteria and earn rates vary.
|Rogers World Elite Mastercard||Tangerine World Mastercard|
|Minimum annual income||$80,000 ($150,000 household).||$60,000 ($100,000 household).|
Reasons you might want a different card
The Rogers World Elite Mastercard may not be a practical fit if:
- You don’t make many U.S. dollar purchases.
- You want a card with more travel perks, like priority boarding or free checked bags.
- You’d prefer to earn different rewards, like points or miles.
Rogers World Elite Mastercard facts
|Rogers World Elite Mastercard|
|Card type||Cash back credit card.|
|Fees and interest rates|
|Penalty APR||25.99% if you miss two payments within 12 months as of October 2023.|
|Cash advance APR||22.99%.|
|Cash advance fee||$5 per transaction.|
|Balance transfer APR||22.99%.|
|Balance transfer fee||3% of the transaction amount.|
|Foreign transaction fee||2.5% of the transaction amount.|
|Rewards and benefits|
|Intro offer||Receive a $25 cash-back welcome bonus after you make your first purchase within the first three months of card membership.|
|Reward earn rates||
|Travel medical||Up to $1 million for medical emergencies.|
|Trip interruption||Up to $5,000 for all insured persons combined.|
|Trip cancellation||Up to $5,000 for all insured persons combined.|
|Rental car theft/damage||For up to 31 days.|
|Extended warranty||Up to one additional year.|
|Purchase Protection||90 days.|
NerdWallet Canada rates credit cards according to overall consumer value and their suitability for specific kinds of consumers. Factors in our evaluation methodology include annual and other fees, rewards rates, the earning structure (for example, flat-rate rewards versus bonus categories), redemption options, bonus offers for new cardholders, introductory and ongoing APRs, and other noteworthy features such as airline or hotel perks or the ability to transfer points.
NerdWallet Canada’s picks for the best credit cards include top contenders across numerous card categories. Compare these options to find the ideal card for you.
Should you pick a rewards credit card to earn points, miles or travel perks — or choose a flexible and straightforward cash back card? It depends on your spending habits.
Not every cash back credit card is the same — each card has a different earn rate, bonus categories and benefits. Consider your spending habits to choose your ideal rewards.