When you shop online, there’s usually no easy way to enter your credit card information if it’s not already saved on your computer to autofill. And whether you save it or not, the information you enter is stored on the merchant’s servers, making it vulnerable to hackers.
Amex Express Checkout aims to solve those problems, and for a limited time, American Express is offering a cash incentive to try it out.
How it works
When you’re ready to pay at one of Amex Express Checkout’s participating online merchants, you’ll have the choice to use your American Express login. Not only does this shorten the process by eliminating the need to type out all your credit card information, but it also keeps your card off the merchant’s servers — and your data safe from hackers.
As of July 2015, participating retailers include BarkBox, Burberry, Ledbury, Newegg, Sabon, Ticketmaster, Warby Parker and The Wall Street Journal.
American Express plans to add other merchants in the coming months, including Avis Car Rental, Banana Republic, Cole Haan, Hulu, Gap, Intermix, Old Navy, POPSUGAR Must Have, Rocketmiles and 1-800-FLOWERS.com.
What sets Amex Express Checkout apart
American Express isn’t the first to introduce a fast, secure checkout solution. MasterCard launched MasterPass in 2013, and Visa followed with Visa Checkout in 2014.
But American Express’s advantage is that it’s both a payment network and a credit card issuer. That means you don’t have to set up a separate account and add all your eligible cards. You just enter your American Express login information, and Amex Express Checkout will save you time by autofilling your card details.
Try it and get a statement credit
For a limited time, American Express is offering a one-time $10 statement credit per merchant when customers use Amex Express Checkout. Consumer and small business credit cards, as well as charge cards, are eligible for this offer. Credits will appear on your statement within 90 days of Sept. 7, 2015, when the offer ends.
If Amex Express Checkout sounds good to you, but don’t have an American Express card, check out the Nerds’ top picks. Here are a couple to consider:
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American ExpressStarwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express should be on your radar. The Nerds value Starpoints at 2.3 cents apiece, making it one of the most lucrative travel rewards out there. Here are some of the key details:
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Limited Time Offer- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 4/5. Terms Apply.
Earn up to 5 Starpoints per dollar on purchases at participating SPG hotels, 2 Starpoints per dollar at Marriott Rewards properties, and 1 Starpoint per dollar on all other purchases.
The annual fee is $0 for the first year, then $95.
- No foreign transaction fee.
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American ExpressBlue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express rewards you big with cash back for all of your everyday purchases without forcing you to decide if it’s worth it every year when the annual fee comes due. Check out its main features:
- Limited Time Offer: Apply by 5/3/17 – Earn 10% cash back on purchases at U.S. Restaurants in the first 6 months, up to $200 back. Earn $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits. Terms Apply.
- Earn 3% at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 2% at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores and 1% on all other purchases.
- Introductory APR of 0% on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 12 months, and then the ongoing APR of 13.74% - 23.74% Variable APR.
- $0 annual fee.
- If you want even bigger rewards and don’t mind an annual fee, check out its sister card, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
Image via iStock.