The Barclaycard credit card mobile app is a decent way to stay on top of your Barclaycard account, but it’s not especially outstanding.
Among its key features:
- Balance and payments. The app shows your balance, lets you review transactions and allows you to make in-app payments.
- Rewards balance. If your card earns points, miles or cash back, you can view your rewards balance in the app. However, you can’t redeem rewards there.
- Touch ID. You can log in with a fingerprint, if you choose.
- Account alerts. You can set up text and email alerts for a range of account activities, including spending notifications and reminders that your payment is due.
- Purchase Planner. This calculator allows you to enter the dollar amount of a purchase and a time frame for paying it off, then it tells you how much your payments would have to be. The calculator doesn’t tell you the dollar amount you’d pay in interest, though, which makes it relatively unhelpful.
- Free FICO Score. This feature tracks your TransUnion FICO score over time and gives you a line graph showing how your score has changed.
The app’s most noteworthy shortcoming: It doesn’t offer live chat with customer service, as similar apps do. Instead, it tells cardholders to contact Barclaycard by phone, Twitter or snail mail — snail mail! — if they have questions.
This no-frills app is worth downloading if you’re just looking for basic information about your credit card account. If you want to make a more complicated transaction — say, redeem rewards — you’re better off visiting the Barclaycard website instead.
4 / 5 — J.D. Power 2017 U.S. Credit Card App Satisfaction Study
2.7 / 5 — Apple App Store (rating as of September 2017)
4.2 / 5 — Google Play Store (rating as of September 2017)