The American Express® Green Card earns rich and flexible rewards on dining and travel at a relatively low cost compared with other American Express cards. Its annual fee is $150.
It also offers some unique travel credits, as well as side perks and protections for shoppers and those on the go.
Here’s what you can get with the American Express® Green Card.
Points: Spending rewards
1. A Generous Welcome offer
New cardholders are eligible for a welcome bonus, which American Express describes this way: “Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply. ”
2. Ongoing rewards
- Earn 3 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on travel, including airfare, hotels, cruises, car rentals, campgrounds, trains, taxis, ridesharing, tours, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, subways, third-party travel sites and amextravel.com.
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants worldwide.
- Earn 1 point per $1 everywhere else.
- Terms apply.
Membership Rewards points can be redeemed for things like travel, statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. You can also transfer points to one of American Express’ hotel and airline partners, or pay with your points with select merchants including Amazon and PayPal. Point values may vary depending on how you redeem them.
Perks: Benefits for travelers
3. $100 Loungebuddy statement credit
You’ll get up to $100 per year in statement credit when you use your American Express® Green Card to purchase airport lounge passes via LoungeBuddy. Terms apply. Single-use lounge passes are available at hundreds of airports and start at $25.
4. $100 Clear Statement credit
You’ll also get up to $100 per year in statement credit toward a Clear membership. Clear uses biometric information to verify your identity and speed you through eligible prescreening lines at participating airports and venues. An annual membership costs $179 for an individual, and an additional $50 for up to three adult family members (family members under 18 are free). Terms apply.
5. Travel coverage
- Trip delay insurance: Receive up to $300 per trip (up to two claims per year) to cover unexpected expenses if your trip is delayed more than 12 hours for a covered reason, like weather delays or a stolen passport. Terms apply.
- Baggage insurance: Receive up to $1,250 for a carry-on bag or $500 for checked luggage (or a $10,000 aggregate maximum for New York residents) in the event your baggage is lost, damaged or stolen. Terms apply.
- Rental car coverage: This can help protect you if your rental car is damaged or stolen. As with all rental car insurance, there are terms, exclusions and restrictions to be mindful of. For example, not all countries or types of rental cars are covered.
- 24/7 global assistance hotline: Get help with medical and legal issues, missing luggage, emergency cash wires and more when you travel more than 100 miles away from home. You’d be responsible for the cost of any third-party service providers needed to complete your request. Terms apply.
• Benefits of the Alaska Airlines credit card
• Benefits of the American Express Green Card
• Benefits of the American Express Gold Card
• Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
• Benefits of the Bank of America Travel Rewards card
• Benefits of the Capital One Savor cards
• Benefits of the Capital One Venture card
• Benefits of the Capital One Quicksilver card
• Benefits of the Capital One Platinum card
• Benefits of the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve card
• Benefits of the Citi Costco credit card
• Benefits of Citi Double Cash Card
• Benefits of Delta Air Lines credit cards
• Benefits of the Discover it Cash Back and Balance Transfer cards
• Benefits of Marriott Bonvoy credit cards
• Benefits of Southwest Airlines credit cards
• Benefits of United Airlines credit cards
Payment options and protections
6. Purchase protections
Get up to $1,000 in coverage for up to 90 days (up to $50,000 per calendar year), plus an extra year added to the original manufacturer’s warranty, when you use your American Express® Green Card. Terms apply.
7. Payment flexibility
- Pay Over Time feature: American Express is known for its charge cards, which have no set spending limit but require you to pay your bill in full each month. The American Express® Green Card allows you to choose between paying in full or carrying a balance with interest.
- Divide up purchases between friends: Split the cost of a night out? Divvy it up evenly through the AmEx app. It’ll calculate the amount owed and send a PayPal or Venmo request for you. Once your friend pays you back, the money will be sent to your Venmo or PayPal account. Enrollment is required.
- Terms apply.
Exclusive perks for cardholders
8. Exclusive entertainment access
Access to ticket presales means you can beat the rush for popular shows, concerts, sporting events and more. Terms apply.
9. Complimentary Shoprunner membership
Enroll at shoprunner.com/americanexpress for a free ShopRunner membership and get free two-day shipping on eligible items from more than 100 online stores. Terms apply.