The Platinum Card® from American Express is like a flashy suitcase overflowing with premium benefits for your travel experience.
It has a $550 annual fee, yes, but it also packs a slew of valuable contents that can easily make up for that cost, assuming you’ll use them: from travel credits and airport lounge access to purchase protections and exclusive services, this card is all about luxury.
Here are the benefits of The Platinum Card® from American Express:
Points: Rewards on spending
The Platinum Card® from American Express earns Membership Rewards points, which offer flexible redemption options that vary in value.
1. A jet-setting welcome offer
The introductory offer can take your travel further: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
2. Big travel rewards
You earn ongoing Membership Rewards at the following rates:
- 5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5 points per dollar on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- 2 points per dollar on other eligible travel expenses booked through amextravel.com.
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases.
- Terms apply.
Perks: Goodies that come with the card
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers a long list of perks, most of which require you to use the card to qualify for them.
3. Up to $200 in annual credit for airline incidental fees
You can choose one qualifying airline to receive up to $200 per calendar year in statement credit when you charge incidental fees such as checked bags or in-flight refreshments to your card. Learn more about travel credits.
4. Up to $200 in Uber cash for rides
You’re automatically enrolled in Uber VIP status, which connects you with top-rated drivers. And you’ll get up to $15 monthly in Uber Cash for rides in the U.S. on your Uber account, plus a bonus of up to $20 in December. You must add your card as a payment method in the Uber app.
5. Up to $100 in statement credits annually at Saks Fifth Avenue
Receive this amount annually for purchases made in-store or online with your card. Credits are divvied up in $50 increments; one from January through June, and the other from July through December. Enrollment is required.
6. reimbursement of application fees for TSA Precheck ($85) or Global Entry ($100)
You get a statement credit once every four years for Global Entry and once every 4.5 years for TSA Precheck. Learn more about TSA Precheck and Global Entry.
Airport lounge benefits
7. Access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection
8. Upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
You don’t have to do much work to earn this status. Simply enroll and you’ll be eligible for a 25% Marriott Bonvoy points bonus, an enhanced room at check-in (when available), 2 p.m. late checkout, enhanced in-room internet access with premium Wi-Fi and more. Terms apply.
9. Upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status
When you enroll in this status, you get room upgrades at select properties (when available), a complimentary fifth reward night on standard room reward stays of five nights or more, and 80% bonus points on all Hilton Honors base points. Terms apply.
10. Money-saving perks for stays booked through The Hotel Collection
If you book a stay of at least two consecutive nights with The Hotel Collection at over 600 properties, you can get a $100 hotel credit to spend on dining, spa and resort activities. You can also qualify for a room upgrade upon arrival depending on availability.
11. Complimentary benefits through Fine Hotels & Resorts
At over 1,000 properties, you can get a room upgrade (when available), daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, noon check-in (when available), complimentary Wi-Fi and amenities such as a spa, food and beverage credit valued at $100.
12. Free shipping with ShopRunner
Get unlimited free two-day shipping and free return shipping on qualifying items when you sign up for a ShopRunner membership using your card.
13. Concierge Service
You have 24-hour access to assistants for personal, travel or credit card-related needs. The service is free, but fees may apply for costs incurred to fulfill your requests.
14. Low fares through the International Airline Program
You and your travel companions could earn savings on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets on over 20 participating airlines when you book through American Express Travel. There’s a $39 servicing fee per ticket.
15. Savings with the Cruise Privileges Program
Use your card to book cruises of five nights or longer through American Express Travel and get up to $300 in shipboard credit per stateroom. Additional perks include exclusive amenities that vary per cruise line and one extra Membership Rewards points per dollar spent.
16. Deals through the Amex Auto Purchasing Program
You’re connected with over 10,000 dealers that accept American Express. Dealers on the auto purchasing program’s website accept your card for at least $2,000 and up to the full purchase price of the car. These same dealers also offer a Guaranteed Savings Certificate on your configured car and in-stock cars that align with your preferences.
17. An extra point when booking Platinum Destinations Vacations
Get one extra Membership Rewards point per dollar spent with your card on an eligible vacation package booked through the Platinum Travel Service.
18. Membership discounts through the Travel Collection by Travel Leaders Group
Get complimentary access to membership in The Travel Collection by Travel Leaders Group. As a member, you have access to specialists who can provide you with discounts and amenities when you book qualifying flights, cruises, hotels, car rentals and tours through them.
19. A subscription to Departures Magazine
This magazine is published seven times a year for cardholders.
20. Additional value through the InCircle rewards program
Enroll your card into InCircle, a Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman rewards program, and you can earn a $100 point card every time you earn 10,000 InCircle points. Points cards can be used to shop at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Last Call, Horchow and CUSP.
Access to unique experiences
21. The Global Dining Collection
Get access to exclusive culinary events with famous chefs, customized experiences at restaurants around the world and special table access.
22. exclusive events
The “By Invitation Only” platform offers an open invitation to purchase tickets to exclusive events from sporting and fashion to dining, art and performances.
23. An open invitation to events with Membership Experiences
Get access to presale tickets, offers, special events and experiences in music, theater and sports, to name a few.
24. A better view with American Express Preferred Seating
Get dibs on coveted seats and advance ticket sales for concerts, sports and entertainment events.
25. Discounted travel opportunities through the Premium Private Jet Program
Get discounts when you purchase a Delta Private Jets card, a Sky Access membership or Aircraft Management program. This benefit is available only for purchases made through Platinum Travel Services.
• Benefits of the Alaska Airlines credit card
• Benefits of the American Express Green Card
• Benefits of the American Express Gold Card
• Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
• Benefits of the Bank of America Travel Rewards card
• Benefits of the Capital One Savor cards
• Benefits of the Capital One Venture card
• Benefits of the Capital One Quicksilver card
• Benefits of the Capital One Platinum card
• Benefits of the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve card
• Benefits of the Citi Costco credit card
• Benefits of Citi Double Cash Card
• Benefits of Delta Air Lines credit cards
• Benefits of the Discover it Cash Back and Balance Transfer cards
• Benefits of Marriott Bonvoy credit cards
• Benefits of Southwest Airlines credit cards
• Benefits of United Airlines credit cards
26. No foreign transaction fees
The Platinum Card® from American Express doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees, but you may experience limited merchant acceptance abroad. American Express cards aren’t as widely accepted internationally as Visa and Mastercard credit cards. See NerdWallet’s best no foreign transaction fee credit cards.
27. No preset spending limit
The Platinum Card® from American Express doesn’t have a preset spending limit since it is a charge card. You’ll still have a general limit, though, that fluctuates with changing factors such as your purchases and credit history. Regardless of how much you spend, you’ll have to pay it off in full every month.
28. Skip the annual fee on additional Gold Cards
You can add authorized users to your account with a complimentary Gold card and earn Membership Rewards points for all qualifying purchases made by your additional card members.
Retail and travel
29. Purchase Protection
This benefit protects qualifying purchases made with your card if they’re accidentally damaged, stolen or lost for up to 120 days (90 days in certain regions) from the purchase date. Coverage includes up to $10,000 per incident for up to a maximum of $50,000 per year. Learn more about purchase protection.
30. Return Protection
If a merchant won’t take an item back after 90 days, American Express may refund you the value up to $300 item purchased with your card (for a maximum of $1,000) per year. The benefit doesn’t cover costs for shipping and handling. Learn more about return protection.
31. Extended Warranty
Get up to two extra years added to an original manufacturer’s warranty of five years or less when you use the card to pay for qualifying purchases. Terms apply. Learn more about extended warranty protections.
32. Baggage Insurance Plan
If your luggage is lost, damaged or stolen, this plan covers you up to $2,000 for checked bags and up to a combined maximum of $3,000 for checked and carry-on baggage. You have to pay for the entire fare with your card to be covered. Terms apply.
33. Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
This benefit offers secondary coverage for a rental car that is damaged or stolen. To qualify, you must pay for the rental car with your card and decline the collision damage waiver. Exclusions and terms apply. Learn more about credit card rental car coverage.
34. Travel Accident Insurance
If you have an emergency when you’re traveling by plane, train, ship or bus, this benefit can offer financial security. You have to pay for the entire fare with your card to be covered.
Emergency services: Assistance 24 hours a day
35. Premium Roadside Assistance
The Premium Roadside Assistance benefit offers help when you have an emergency on the road. You can call the number on the back of your card at any time of day. Eligible services include towing up to 10 miles, changing a flat or jump-starting a battery, and American Express pays for these services up to four times a year. Exclusions and terms apply.
36. Premium Global Assist Hotline
If you’re traveling farther than 100 miles from home, American Express offers around-the-clock medical, legal, financial or other select emergency and assistance services. This benefit may also provide emergency medical transportation assistance. You may be responsible for any costs charged by third-party service providers.