How soon can you start using that new credit card you just got approved for? It depends.
The application and approval process for a new card may take only a few minutes, but it can take several days before you receive the physical card in the mail. Typically only then can you start charging purchases to the account.
But there are exceptions. Many co-branded credit cards — which are partnerships between a merchant and an issuing bank — will allow you to use your new line of credit right away at the specific merchant where you applied for it. In rarer cases, even a few general-purpose credit cards from large issuers will grant you immediate access to your credit line via an instant card number.
Below are major issuers’ policies on instant credit access, plus some reasons why you might want it.
Who issues instant credit?
The following list was independently confirmed by NerdWallet with a representative at each issuer and is accurate as of February 2019.
But several of Barclays’ co-branded cards do offer instant credit under certain circumstances. A sampling:
- The Barclaycard Financing Visa® will give instant credit availability when you apply online or in an Apple store.
- The Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® offers instant credit upon approval toward your Frontier purchase when you apply while booking a flight or other travel through the site.
- Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite Mastercard® offers instant credit upon approval when you apply while booking a flight or other travel through the site.
- The Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card offers instant credit upon approval when you apply while booking a cruise or when you apply onboard.
- The JetBlue Card offers instant credit upon approval toward your JetBlue purchase when you apply while booking a flight or vacation through the site.
- The NFL Extra Points Credit Card offers instant credit upon approval toward your purchase when you apply at an NFL shop.
- The Priceline Rewards™ Visa® Card offers instant credit upon approval toward your purchase when you apply while booking travel through the site.
- The Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card offers instant credit upon approval when you apply while booking a cruise or when you apply onboard.
- The Uber Credit Card offers instant credit upon approval when you add it as the primary method of payment to your Uber account.
Chase would not specify which such cards offered this feature.
Again, in many cases, issuers that specialize in co-branded store cards may offer instant credit upon approval to those applying for a card in the store or about to make a purchase on their website. For instance, the PayPal Cashback Mastercard®, issued by Synchrony Bank, offers instant credit upon approval, as does the Apple Card, issued by Goldman Sachs.
What’s the rush?
There are a few reasons why you might want to use a new credit line instantly:
- Emergency/immediate need: You have to purchase something right now, and the new account is the best fit. Maybe it’s a roof repair, or some other large expense, and the card features a nice long 0% intro APR offer to help you finance it. Or perhaps you need to buy airline tickets in a jiffy, and a co-branded airline card offers bonus rewards or other perks you’d like to take advantage of. In such cases, being able to use the card immediately is ideal.
- Sign-up bonus deadline: Credit cards that offer a welcome bonus also set a time limit in which to earn it. That deadline generally begins as soon as your account is open and not when you actually receive your card (which, again, usually takes at least a few days). The sooner you can start using your new card, the greater the likelihood you’ll spend enough in time to get the sign-up bonus.
- Upfront discount or perks: Nearly all co-branded credit cards offer some type of perk for spending on the card within the brand. It might be store rewards or a discount on merchandise. With many of these kinds of cards, instant credit is available along the “booking path,” which is when a customer is shopping online or at a brick-and-mortar location and is given an opportunity to apply for a co-branded card on the spot. In this scenario, if you’re approved, you often can use your new line of credit to complete the purchase (and secure your perk).
Information related to The Priceline Rewards™ Visa® Card has been collected by NerdWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.